Online Only: Bulldog volleyball slips versus LSU, looks to end season on positive note versus Alabama

The No. 17 Louisiana State ended Mississippi State volleyball’s two-game win streak in a three set offensive showcase on Friday in Baton Rouge, La., at the Maravich Center. The Tigers (24-5, 18-2 SEC) completed a season series sweep with the win scoring 25-18, 25-21, 25-20 Senior setter Dorey Gray posted a double-double in assists (23) and digs (11).
    Sophomore outside hitter Caitlin Rance lead the Bulldogs in kills with nine, while senior outside hitter Ioana Demian and sophomore outside hitter Faith Steinwedell followed with eight and seven, respectively. Sophomore middle blocker Ashley Newsome had a match-high five blocks and marked a solo block to maintain her SEC led at 24. State out blocked the Tigers 6 – 4.
    Head coach Jenny Hazelwood said State played decent but she gave credit to LSU.
    “We came in knowing that and we competed, and I’m proud of our girls that they didn’t back down,” Hazelwood said. “Our blocking was good, and our passing was good at times.”
    The bulk of LSU’s firepower came from senior outside hitter Marina Skender, senior middle blocker Britnee Cooper and sophomore middle blocker Michelle Williams. The trio registered 40 kills at .388 hitting percentage to lead the 2009 SEC Western Division champions to its 16th win in 17 matches. LSU holds sole possession of second place in SEC standings behind Kentucky.
    The Tigers never trailed in the opening set behind great offensive play from Cooper. However, in the second set, the Bulldogs jumped out to 12-5 lead, only to see LSU regroup and rally to win the set.
    “Our passing broke down in that set, and we had a hard time when that happened,” Hazelwood said. “We knew we had the match-ups we needed. We even got it to 21-19. I think the matchups allowed us to out block them.”
    Gray said in the third set the Bulldogs made adjustments to the Tiger’s offensive attack, which kept the Tigers offensive kills low. However, the Tigers proved ultimately unstoppable, cruising to a victory. MSU (8-22, 4-15 SEC) closes out its season at Newell-Grissom Building against Alabama (8-21, 6-13 SEC) Friday. First serve is slated at 7 p.m. MSU will salute seniors, Gray and Demian, before the match.
    “I’m going to take these last four days of practice and go all out to make sure I play the best volleyball I can leading up to the Alabama game, because I would love nothing more than to kill Alabama and get revenge from the last time we played them,” Gray said.
    Assistant coach Lindi Bankowski said the team is hoping to get a win, which would create momentum for next season.”We told the girls, ‘Look, if you can compete with LSU, you are that close to being a great team,'” she said. Alabama won a five set thriller 16-25, 25-13, 25-21, 25-27, 15-12 in Tuscaloosa in September. “Alabama won back and forth sets, and they were fortunate to get the win,” Hazelwood said.
    Gray and Demian have made unbelievable contributions to MSU volleyball, Hazelwood said.
    Gray, of Indian Harbour Beach, Fla., leads the Bulldogs with assists with 574, which is more than her teammates combined. She has averaged 7.45 assists per set. Gray is third on the team with 10 service aces.
    Gray has displayed off -court leadership and has worked to unify the locker room, Bankowski said.
    “I don’t think we focus on getting the ball to one specific player,” she said. “[Gray] has done a good job spreading the offense out. Also, she is one of our tougher servers.” Volleyball has always held importance in Gray’s life, even through the ups and downs of her career, she said.
    “It’s almost surreal that it’s almost over,” she said. “I haven’t quite accepted it yet.”
    Demian, of Baia Mare, Romania, is second on the team with 250 kills and 2.34 kills per set. She has accumulated the most service aces (19) on the team. Demian has played in every set of every game and has started 29 out of 30 matches in 2009.
    Demian has led by her example on the court, Bankowski said.
    “She’s always going hard and finding a way to get it done, so I think the girls can rely on her for that.”