Bama throttles MSU in front of record crowd

The Bulldogs suffered its worst loss of the 2009 season on Saturday, dropping a 31-3 decision against Alabama in front of a record crowd of 58,103. Mississippi State was competitive early, but big plays from the Crimson Tide offense put the game away late.
    Of Alabama’s four touchdowns, only one was shorter than 45 yards – a one-yard run by Heisman hopeful Mark Ingram. Coach Dan Mullen said the Tide defense played well, but it was the big touchdowns that ultimately cost the Dawgs the game.
    “I give credit to Alabama,” he said. “They made some big plays. That was the difference in the game. A 70-yard touchdown by Mark Ingram – we hold them to 79 yards [rushing] if we take away that touchdown run. Our defense really played hard.”
    It appeared the Dawg defense wore down toward the end of the game, but senior linebacker Jamar Chaney said this was certainly not the case. He said the players were fully responsible for the miscues.
    “We were not that tired,” Chaney said. “We just did not focus and stick to our assignments. Plays like that were just a busted coverage. They did not beat us on those plays; we just messed up. The big plays came when we messed up and missed tackles.”
    The Bama defense played hard, as well, holding MSU’s all-time leading rusher Anthony Dixon to 81 yards on the ground, however, Dixon did have his best receiving day of the season, catching six balls for 59 yards. Dixon said he knew coming in the Tide rush defense was going to do everything they could to stop him.
    “It was tough, but that’s what I expected,” Dixon said. “I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. I knew Alabama wasn’t going to come in here and lay down, because they got a lot on the line. They made it tough for me.”
    Dixon was not the only Bulldog having trouble with the Bama defense. Senior quarterback Tyson Lee was 9 of 17 passing for 99 yards and two interceptions. Lee only completed three passes to Bulldogs not named Dixon, and he said the stiff Tide defense reminded him of the Florida defense he faced a few weeks prior.
    “They are real big, fast and they move well,” Lee said. “There were plays to be made, but we just have to capitalize on those situations. I missed two bad balls tonight. I have to make those throws in this kind of game.”
    Despite the lopsided score, the Bulldogs were still in the game in the fourth quarter. A MSU drive started in the end of the third quarter stretched almost five minutes into the fourth quarter after the Bulldogs converted two fourth-down tries. With 12 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Lee completed a 15-yard pass to Dixon, setting the Dawgs up with first and goal from the five yard line. It looked like MSU was still in the game, but three plays and one big sack later, MSU settled for its only points of the night – a 34-yard field goal.
    It was the only trip inside the red zone resulting in points for the Bulldogs, and Dixon said those troubles were hard to swallow against such a tough defense.
    “We were definitely sad when we came off the field with no points,” Dixon said. “Me knowing that we weren’t going to get many opportunities – that really hurt. They’re one of the best defenses I’ve faced.”
    Perhaps the brightest spot of the night for the Bulldogs was actually black – the uniforms. Mullen said the black uniforms were a request from Chaney before the season started, and Mullen initially told Chaney it would never happen. Mullen said he decided to give his seniors a gift for everything they have done for the program. Chaney said the gift was quite a surprise.
    “I had no idea we were going to wear them until we came in the locker room after warm ups wearing maroon,” Chaney said. “He told us he had a surprise and pulled them out.”