Area has inferior soft water

Have you ever noticed how strange the tap water tastes in Starkville? Or maybe you’ve picked up on how long it takes to wash off soap in the shower? I certainly have.
    When I moved here from Atlanta and first drank the water from my sink, I couldn’t help but notice it had an almost muddy, salty taste to it. I have also found my showers take nearly twice as long here as they did back home because it takes twice as long to rinse shampoo out of my hair. These things were only trivial compared to the breakouts I have been facing since I moved here.
    Seeing how I’d never had acne before, I attributed my blemishes to the stress of being a broke, busy college student. However, as time has gone on and I have adjusted to my workload, as well as learned how to better budget my money, the situation on my face has not improved.
    After hearing other freshmen from out of state were having the same problem, I began to ask people if there really was something in the water. Eventually, I learned the state has soft water, and that was the cause of my little dilemma.
    So, what is soft water? It is water which has large amounts of sodium ions. Some people argue the sodium content does not change the taste of soft water, but anyone who has grown up with hard water will attest to the fact that soft water has a strange flavor.
    The sodium ions in soft water pose a problem when it comes to showering and washing clothes. The reason for this is the ions do not grab onto soap molecules in order to wash them away. Rather, they pass right by them making it more work than it should be just to wash soap off of your body and out of your hair in the shower. The leftover soap residue clogs pores, causing said blemishes and skin irritation.
    The same problem applies to laundry. The detergent molecules which attach to your clothes are seldom completely washed away, which is why your clothes will sometimes feel like they are still soapy after a full wash cycle.
    There is a difference between naturally soft water and softened water. Some people buy water softening systems for their homes because hard water tends to cause corrosion due to its high mineral content. However, some do not realize that naturally occurring soft water has this effect, too. The difference is found specifically in the pH levels of soft water, where natural soft water has acidic pH levels, and softened water has neutral pH levels.
    Hard water is taken from bodies of water which have been exposed to rock sediment. Hard water is definitely better for bathing, washing clothes and drinking. The minerals found in hard water are known to harden teeth enamel, not to mention the fact it tastes good. Hard water does not have sodium ions, therefore it is easier to shower and wash away dirt from pores, leaving skin blemish-free.
    So why doesn’t the state do something about this? Unfortunately the minerals present in water, or lack there of, are naturally occurring.
    Natural soft water is used in places where water sources include precipitation and lakes where there is little to no sediment formations. Apparently, our area gets its water from sources like these, so I guess we just have to grin and bear it.
    Nora Donnelly is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected].