Students see many choices in courses

“Need sleep…” is written and underlined no less than four times in her planner right next to a reminder about an online quiz, a presentation due date, study plans and final exam dates. Like most students at Mississippi State, senior elementary education major Mallory Robinson is busy and trying hard just to make it to next semester. Part of her planning for next semester involves seeing her adviser.
    “It’s good to be advised early and get your registration code, especially if you’re not an upper-classman,” she said. “That way you can register at the right time.”
    Students are encouraged to see their advisers as soon as possible to plan for the spring 2010 semester. Wesley Ammon, the University Academic Advising Center head, said it is crucial all freshmen see their advisers.
    “The longer they put this off, the less likely it is that they get the schedule of their choice,” he said.
    During advising, students receive their registration access code number. Many departments require students to be advised and advisers to check up on their students after advising, Lisa Holloway, student information system coordinator of the registrar’s office said.
    “Before they register they must see their adviser in order to get a RAC number,” she said. “They’ll get the time that they need to start registration when they receive that number.”
    Registration for most students is Nov. 5 through Nov. 13. Registration times are based on hours attempted and groups.
    “Freshmen need to take to heart that they’ll move up in pecking order every year,” Ammon said.
    As a senior, Robinson said she had a good idea of what classes she was going to take and encourages younger students to go see and listen to their advisers.
    “When you get to your last two years, you know basically what you have to take, but it really helps to have someone your first two years to tell you exactly what you need to take,” Robinson said.
    Different majors have different required courses, and students should be aware of these requirements. Not all required classes are unpleasant. Robinson said she finds classes such as children’s literature fascinating and fun.
    “One day we talked about poetry and leaf tracing and fall, so we had class outside and did leaf tracing,” she said. “I wish I could take that class again.”
    Though it is required for Robinson, a biological science major might find the class strange. Senior biological science major Stephen Burton took arts and crafts this semester because he said he wanted a class to relax in after working hard for three years.
    “I learned a lot about what goes into the making of stuff that looks simple,” he said. “I’ve got a lot more respect for art majors now.”
    Junior mechanical engineering major Brian Schaffer took history and appreciation of dance in spring 2009 for a fine art elective requirement. He learned about dancing through the ages and got to actually dance. He encourages other students to take the class because the instructor was fun and his classmates were an incentive.
    “I was one of about seven guys in a class of about 50,” he said. “That’s an overwhelming but great ratio.”
    Mississippi State also offers one-hour seminars in many areas. Junior animal and dairy science major Coree Davis took an It’s All Greek to Me seminar because she needed one credit hour.
    “It’s a lot of fun and it’s interesting, but it doesn’t pertain to what I’m going into,” she said.
    Excited to take a fun life science class, junior biological science major Jacob Kitchens is taking introduction to horsemanship. He said he is excited and expects to learn how to ride horses.
    “It’s a three hour class,” Kitchens said. “I cannot wait for those three hours.”
    Heat transfer is required for junior mechanical engineering major Brad Melancon. He said he plans on taking it next semester. A class which involves physics, chemistry and thermodynamics may seem strange to an elementary education major, communication major or horticulture major.
    “I’m taking it because it’s required, and I like my major,” he said.
    Whether the classes a student plans on taking are fun or required or both, the best way to go about registering for those classes is to see an adviser. It is incredibly important to be advised and take the advice, Ammon said.