Developers build new off-campus apartments

The Pointe at MSU, a new apartment complex, will open on July 31, 2010, near campus for Mississippi State University students.
    The Pointe is located on Blackjack Road next to Campus Trails. Angie Jackson, operations partner of The Pointe, said applicants can choose among two, three and four bedroom apartments.
    Every bedroom will have its own bathroom, and all apartments will have a patio. Most buildings will only have four apartments per floor.
    “There will not be as many middle apartments, and they will not be sharing as many walls,” Jackson said.
    All residents will have access to a clubhouse, Jackson said. It will have a conference room, game room and computer lab. There are also three individual study rooms that can be used by a minimum of four people.
    She said there will be people in community assistance and marketing who will help plan educational and fun events for the residents.
    “We see how much students get into tailgating, so when we host something, we want it to be on board with everyone’s wishes,” Jackson said.
    She said The Pointe will not have all furniture from one vendor.
    “We are a smaller company, and therefore we’re more hands on – like picking out the furniture and making the clubhouse and apartments feel like home,” Jackson said.
    Outdoor amenities include a pool, hot tubs, volleyball and basketball courts, hammocks and gas grills, Jackson said.
    Senior risk management major Morgan Roby thinks the amenities will be a good selling point for students.
    “I think it will do good because it’s really nice and has a lot of amenities students want,” Roby said.
    The entrances to all the buildings will be locked. Jackson said. Residents will have a key which opens both their building and the clubhouse. The keys will only work for their specific building. Each building will have systems on the first floor to buzz up to the higher floors.
    To promote student interest, flyers have been posted throughout campus. Jackson said a billboard in Starkville is also on display.
    “The clubhouse will be open to host events for the university, the student body and those who have already signed leases,” she said.
    Many students said they agree The Pointe will be welcomed due to the growing MSU student body and the popularity of apartment living.
    Senior communication major Sarah Behter Soday said the university is growing so fast that Starkville is running out of housing for students.
    “It should fill up fast because our student body gets bigger every year,” Soday said.
    Sophomore architecture major Condaleeza Bolar said she thinks The Pointe will help with the shortage of student housing.
    “People are always looking for a place to live,” Bolar said.
    Jackson said there is a temporary leasing office set up where The Pointe will be built. It is open Monday through Friday, but beginning in early January, the leasing office will be open seven days a week. It also has a few pieces of the furniture.
    “People can come in and get a feel for it,” Jackson said.
    A guarantor will be required to sign a lease, Jackson said. Also, residents will be given a set of rules and regulations.
    “[The rules] will be put in place to make sure it’s a quiet and nice place to live,” she said.
    Sophomore industrial technology major Charles Harvey said he thinks it can also help with parking problems because of its proximity to campus.
    “It could ease up the traffic on campus because it’s within walking distance,” Harvey said.
    For more information, visit The Pointe’s Web site at pointe-msu.com.