Flick: an MSU legend

Walking into Hank Flick’s office in McComas Hall, a visitor immediately sees the history and tradition Flick has been associated with in his 32 years of service to Mississippi State University. Pictures of iconic coaches and players line his wall and desk along with photographs of his son. Within moments of talking to Flick, you know the man bleeds Maroon and White.
    Hank Flick is Mississippi State University. He is as much a part of the university’s traditions as ringing cowbells, Bully and the Left Field Lounge. Flick’s voice and dedication to serving The People’s University have woven him into the school’s history.
    This weekend, the athletic department abruptly announced Flick would no longer be serving as the public address announcer for football and basketball games, citing the department “would like to move in a different direction.” No other explanations were provided by the athletic department as to why the change occurred.
    Flick will remain in his teaching role, but the game day atmosphere will forever have a void.
    We would like to thank Hank Flick for his 32-year service to Misssissippi State athletics. We feel that Flick’s voice and enthusiasm for the university are a fundamental part to every game day experience.
    We would like to thank the athletic department, specifically athletic director Greg Byrne, for breathing new life into the department and giving athletics a new vision, but we feel Flick’s dismissal fundamentally removes one of our richest traditions.
    Football players now sing the alma mater after games, and they also sing the fight song after victories. We applaud this new tradition and understand the restructuring of our athletic image, but we feel that the athletic department is sending contradictory signals by removing Flick’s iconic voice. We think the university should embrace its history instead of stepping on the toes of tradition in the name of change.
    We also feel the athletic department could have handled this transition in a more respectful way. We think Flick should have been granted one last game. Doing this would allow students, players and alumni to say goodbye and provide Flick with the respectful farewell he deserves.
    Finally, we would like to remind students that we all have a say in what goes on at the university. We ask that students make their opinions heard about the matter. Flick may not be announcing any future games, but the student body can provide feedback to the athletic department about his replacement.
    It will take many games for Bulldog fans to adjust to a new voice announcing first downs and three pointers, but we think the Bulldog Nation will give whoever takes the reins ample opportunity to establish their own voice. Still without Flick, it will be hard to attend a sporting event and truly enjoy it, “Mississippi State style.”
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Harry Nelson, news editor Kyle Wrather, assistant news editor April Windham, sports editor Justin Ammon, entertainment editor Bailey Singletary, photo editor Bud Sorey, copy editors Josh Starr and Dee Works, online editor Adam Kazery, managing editor Aubra Whitten and editor in chief Carl Smith.