Athletics featured in ‘Super’ Weekend

Mississippi State University students, alumni and fans will converge this weekend for Super Bulldog Weekend presented by Regions Bank. The annual event features spring sports, music and other campus activities.
    The weekend will kick-off with the MSU baseball game tonight at 6:30 p.m. The Bulldogs will host Kentucky in a three-game series. Also, the softball team will host South Carolina in a series of games tomorrow and Sunday. The tennis team will face in-state rival Ole Miss on Saturday.
    The much anticipated Maroon and White football scrimmage game will begin tomorrow at 5:30 p.m.
    Athletic promotions coordinator Chad Thomas said the change of game time to the evening will benefit those who plan to watch the baseball game as well as the scrimmage.
    “In making this weekend the most exciting and fun weekend for our fans, we wanted to set a schedule that would provide our fans with the best experience possible,” he said.
    He said he expects a good crowd because of the buzz.
    “When Coach Mullen arrived on campus, he brought an energy and excitement that fans and alumni have welcomed with open arms,” Thomas said. “Throughout his state tour when he was first hired in December, he spoke to overflow crowds and encouraged them to come out to practice during the spring and the [Maroon and White] game.”
    He said those coming from throughout the state could come in tomorrow morning, tailgate and go to the football scrimmage like they would do for a fall football weekend.
    “After discussing the weekend plans for Super Bulldog Weekend and talking with the coaches, we felt it would be in the best interest of the fans and alumni to schedule the spring game after the baseball game,” Thomas said. “In the past, there was a host of events, and the weekend was wrapped up with a concert.”
    Thomas said having the football game in the evening would result in a larger crowd at the concert.
    Following the Maroon and White game, the Old Main Music Festival featuring Darius Rucker, Day 26 and local battle of the bands winners The Grenadiers, will begin at the Humphrey Coliseum at 8 p.m.
    Other events occurring over the weekend include a pig cooking contest tomorrow morning and Fan Fair at the junction.
    Game Day Committee chairman Jim Jones said the weekend is going to be bigger and better than ever.
    “The Large Alumni tent will be setup in the Junction,” Jones said. “We hope that our fans will take advantage of the opportunity to come out and find their favorite picnic area.”
    The Junction will open for tailgating at 5 p.m. today and will close at midnight and reopen at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning, Jones said.
    Alumni director Jimmy Abraham said the athletic department created the event when Charlie Carr was the athletic director and originally called it Super Saturday.
    “It changed a few years after this to Super Bulldog Weekend to incorporate all events during the weekend, not just on Saturday,” Abraham said.
    “Super Bulldog Weekend is truly a showcase event for Mississippi State University in the spring,” he said. “Many alumni and friends come back home during this weekend not only to watch our athletic teams in action, but also to enjoy all the other activities associated with Super Bulldog Weekend.”
    Thomas said Super Bulldog Weekend has always been a fan, student and alumni favorite.
    “Many class reunions take place; old friends meet up on campus to tell stories of their college days, and all this is surrounded by a weekend full of sports,” Thomas said.