Men’s track wraps up solid outing in Florida

The MSU men’s track and field team turned in a great performance in the first meet of the season Saturday in Jacksonville, Fla. The Bulldogs finished in the top five 16 times and winning six races over the weekend at the University of North Florida’s newly constructed track.
    “We had a great meet,” head coach Al Schmidt said. “This was a very good meet with great competition; it was a great season opener for us.”
    Sophomore Matthew Cameron, freshman D’Angelo Cherry and senior Robert Scribner took first place in 1,500-meters run, 100-meter dash and 5,000-meter run ,respectively.
    Cameron set a personal best and regional qualifying mark in the 1,500 of 3 minutes 45.49 seconds. Junior Cameron Vincent posted a time of 3:56.90 to take eighth place.
    “Cameron qualifying well under the regional marks was a very big highlight today,” said associate head coach Steve Dudley.
    Cherry regionally qualified in the 100 with a 10.40. Junior Dwight Mullings and sophomore Justin Christian finished right behind him at second and third. Mullings ran 10.61. Christian ran 10.70, but went on to eclipse that time, winning the final with a personal-best and regionally qualifying 10.52.
    After a trip to the U.S. Indoor Championships in Boston, Mass., where he set a juniors 60 record of 6.52, Cherry had one goal in mind – a regional qualification.
    “The whole purpose of the meet was to qualify, and I got that done,” he said. “So, I was happy with it.”
    Cherry said he did not run in the final so he could rest.
    Veteran Scribner led the pack in the 5,000 at 14:32.24. He was followed by sophomore Adam Lenz at 14:48.45 in second and junior Daniel Simpkins at 15:14.51 in eighth place.
    The team took home two relay victories. The rest paid off; MSU’s 4×100 relay team of Cherry, senior John Bailey, Mullings and Christian posted a time of 40.13 seconds to take first place in the event and NCAA qualifying marks. The 4×400 relay team of sophomore Emanuel Mayers, Bailey, sophomore O’Neal Wilder and Mullings ran 3:11.39 to also win.
    “It was my first time running first leg, and I was pretty happy with the performance because we really haven’t practiced [4×100],” Cherry said.
    Junior Kendall May was entered to run the first leg, but came up injured, Cherry said. Cherry, originally slated at second, stepped up to the first leg, which was a little unusual for him.
    “It was a little hard to adjust because I am left-handed, and usually I am second or fourth for a smoother adjustment switching the baton,” Cherry said. “I think I handled it pretty well.”
    The differences between high school and college are apparent to Cherry, he said. The simple concept of being on a team is relatively new to the freshman, considering he is an underclassman who had to adjust accordingly. He said he learned he needs to focus on coming out of the blocks since the gun does not go off quickly like in high school.
    “[Waiting for the gun] is kind of nerve racking,” he said.
    Mayers ran 47.80 in the 400 dash, finishing second. Claflin sprinter Kyle Vick won narrowly running 47.74.
    In the 200 dash, Christian ran 22.05 to come in second. Unattached sprinter Alex Ritcher ran a field best 22.00.
    Senior Delandus O’Neal ran 54.37 seconds in the 400 hurdles to finish in third place. Florida State senior Javier Garcia-Tunon took first at 51.63.
    Senior Thoum Mathaing ran 1:55.44 in the 800 to place fourth. Kennesaw State sophomore Gianni Catalano took first place honors with 1:53.89.
    In the field events, senior Daryl Brady finished second in the pole vault, clearing 15 feet 1 inch. Freshman Patrick Johnson cleared 14-7 in the pole vault to take fourth place. Slippery Rock freshman Cameron Daugherty placed first clearing 15-7.
    In the high jump, freshman Josh Tucker cleared 6-8.75 to win third place. Senior Allen Cassell, junior Kendrick Poullard and Brady followed Tucker, coming in fourth, sixth and seventh respectively. Unattached jumper Jerome Mckinzie came in first place at 7-00.50.
    State was among 23 teams competing in the unprecedented event, which consisted of prominent teams Florida State, Jacksonville and Florida A&M.
    MSU will rest for a week and return to action March 21, at the Rhodes College Invitational in Memphis, Tenn.