Union needs campus feedback

In recent weeks, there has been talk of possible changes being brought to the selection of restaurants in the Colvard Student Union. The feedback we’ve received from students across campus has shown many don’t feel satisfied by our current choices, but Aramark’s willingness to make changes is a good thing. If changes are going to be made, we ask that there is careful consultation with the students, faculty and staff to find out what they are looking for.
    In a recent non-scientific poll we conducted on our Web site, we asked readers to vote on which Aramark eating choices they liked the best. We learned there is a resounding approval for Chick-Fil-A, which received more than 50 percent of the votes. Interestingly, the poll showed national franchises were vastly more popular than the Aramark family brands.
    Two years ago, surveys were conducted to find out what types of food the MSU community wanted in the renovated Union. In the future, we hope to see more research into what students, faculty and staff are looking for when they go to the Union to eat.
    Ideally, the campus could be given a list of franchise options that could be voted on, which would allow the customers to choose what they think will be the best fit for Mississippi State. We were pleased to see recent surveys sent out regarding the choice between Pepsi and Coca-Cola for drinks on campus. That sort of cooperation and collaboration is needed for the university to move forward as a community.
    Also, when the choices for foods to bring to the Union were made, there was an emphasis put on bringing healthy food options. Unfortunately, healthy food can come at a price, and as college students, we cannot afford to pay increasing prices for lunch on a day-to-day basis. When looking for what to put in the Union, hopefully this will also be considered: affordable but healthy food.
    Another problem we face is crowding. While the new dining area of the Union is spacious, it still must serve the thousands of students who eat there on a sometimes daily basis. We’ve become accustomed to long lines and waiting sometimes up to 15 minutes just to order food. If changes are being made, perhaps expanding the number of cashiers or finding speedy ways to serve hungry eaters should be considered also.
    If changes are made, we hope there is consideration put into adjusting hours of operation. While we don’t expect for all of the restaurants to be open at all times, there are often many students working and studying on campus well after 9 p.m.
    Unfortunately, early closing times have forced many potential customers to leave campus to find food, thus taking business away from the university. The extended hours of the library have been well received, but the lack of food and drink options at night has undoubtedly turned away students who will leave campus to study in some place where coffee and food is readily available.
    At MSU, we’ve had a rich tradition of good food available. We’re known for our Edam cheese, and for many years our cafeteria was stocked with vegetables grown on campus. Over the years, we’ve hosted many different franchises in the Union and had high standards for what we eat. All we ask is that potential changes to the Union be carefully and thoroughly investigated to find out what the campus population needs and wants. Many students, including the incoming freshmen and anyone required to buy meal plans, will be drastically affected by the choices made.
    The saying goes, “The customer knows best,” and as far as food goes, the students, faculty and staff are the customers. We hope when changes are made, they truly reflect what the customers want. If the MSU community is involved in the decision, it will help improve business for the university, bring jobs to students and ultimately help create a better experience for everyone at MSU.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Matt Watson, news editor Lawrence Simmons, assistant news editor Josh Starr, sports editor Brandon Wright, entertainment editor Bailey Singletary, photo editor Bud Sorey, copy editors Aubra Whitten and Carl Smith, online editor Adam Kazery, managing editor Kyle Wrather and editor in chief Erin Kourkounis.