Letter to the Editor

I have always been one to believe the phrase “If it’s not broken, then don’t fix it.” In the springs of 2004 and 2005, Moe and Robert Randolph, respectively, were the headline musical acts of Old Main Music Festival. Both of these concerts seemed to be a great success on all levels from the view of an attending student. The crowds were more than respectable, the local restaurant and bars enjoyed it because it gave them a chance to sell food and drinks to people who would otherwise have not entered their establishments, and the feedback from most people I have come in contact with seemed to be very encouraging. The stages were placed in between Mugshots and Whiskey Blues and faced the rest of downtown.
    For some reason, someone came up with the idea to change it. In the spring of 2006, the stages were moved down at least two blocks in the direction of campus, and they did not include any of the bars and restaurants that one thinks of when they think of downtown Starkville. To my knowledge, this was a disaster.
    It escapes me of who the band was because I, along with most of the rest of Starkville and Mississippi State, chose not to attend due to Music Makers’ ill planning. This move also did not sit well with some of the downtown restaurants and bars, which made the idea even more confusing because we as students are always hearing about how the university and the community of Starkville are trying to work together on many issues.
    Last spring, the Wailers were the main musical act of Down in the District. It was a tremendous event and concert. As many of us can remember it was completely packed, and I do not see how anyone could have not enjoyed the concert last year. It was filled with local vendors and included many of the bars and restaurants located in the Cotton District. Being college students, these types of events are always looked forward to and remembered.
    Even though it was such a good time and success, the Student Association has decided to take this away as well. Bobbie Lee Daniel, the student director of CAB, said, “In a way, I think we were hurting ourselves by trying to do two concerts so close together.” I can’t think of anything farther away from the truth.
    I feel as though most people would agree with me in saying that past concerts in the amphitheatre have been lame at best. How many times have we all driven by there and seen about a hundred people standing out there feeling sorry for the band? The one exception I can think of is when Robert Randolph played in the fall 2003. For some reason or another, past concerts on campus do not work out. Therefore, I do not see a reason in changing what we know has worked.
    Another sensitive issue that does not seemed to have been addressed is how alcohol will be handled. People can believe what they want, but on a college campus a concert without alcohol will not be attended. It is just a matter of fact.
    I sincerely hope that Spring Fever will be a success and I will be able to put my foot in my mouth, but I currently have my doubts. I also hope that the people in charge have done the research on this decision and have asked the students what they think.
    As a student, I am obviously concerned about the students’ interest at hand first. I look forward to hearing the rest of the decisions that must be made in order for a concert to be a success on the campus of Mississippi State.