Bulldogs host last-place South Carolina Saturday

Saturday the MSU men’s basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand by hosting the Gamecocks of South Carolina. Wednesday the Bulldogs (11-6, 2-2) played host to defending national champs, the Florida Gators, and came up short 70-67.
    After such a heartbreaking loss, it might be tempting for the team to dwell on what might have been.
    Senior guard Dietric Slater said focusing on the task at hand will be the key.
    “It’s extremely important, especially with all the young guys that come in a play a lot of minutes for us,” Slater said. “We’ve been down this road before, and I just try to keep them focused. Sooner or later, we’re going to pull one out.”
    The Gamecocks (10-7, 0-4) and head coach Dave Odem enter into Saturday’s game after defeating the Arkansas Razorbacks 66-60 in Columbia.
    In its last road game, South Carolina faced Tennessee and narrowly lost 64-61.
    Prior to the win over the Hogs, the Gamecocks were the only SEC team without a conference win.
    The defending NIT Tournament champions are led in scoring by senior guard Tre Kelly.
    Kelly averages 16.6 points and ranks third in the SEC. Senior forward Brandon Wallace ranks second in the league in rebounding, averaging 9.2 rebounds.
    The Bulldogs played South Carolina twice last season, both in a losing effort.
    The two first matched up in Columbia last season, where the Bulldogs struggled, losing 83-61 behind Tre Kelly’s game-high 22 points.
    The teams squared off again in the first round of the SEC Tournament, were the Bulldogs committed 17 turnovers and lost 59-44.
    Bulldogs rank sixth in scoring and have the league’s fifth-ranked defense.
    South Carolina ranks last in the league in scoring, but owns the league’s sixth-ranks defense.
    The Bulldogs continue to lead in scoring by sophomore Jamont Gordon, who is averaging 15 points a game.
    Gordon also ranks eighth in the league in rebounding at just under eight per game, and fifth in assists.
    Hot-shooting freshman guard Barry Stewart is second on the team in scoring, averaging 12 points a contest.
    Stewart also is also shooting 82 percent from the free throw line for the season, and was voted SEC Freshman of the Week Monday for the second consecutive week.