Kindness fosters kindness

Working in retail most of my life, I’ve had to deal with customers who complain about everything and bring a negative vibe into the store. One thing that always brightened my day was when someone came in the store happy and put everyone in a good mood. This usually made me realize a little kindness goes a long way. This past Sunday, a friend and I went to eat at two restaurants in Starkville. At lunch we joked around with our waitress, and this resulted in her giving us dessert for free. At dinner, we talked aimlessly with our waiter, and because of this he took half off our dinner. These two people thanked us the best way they could just for putting a smile on both their faces. I’m not trying to tell you this is a good way to get a cheaper meal; this is just how we were treated.
    Another example of kindness that led to kindness in return was when a friend and I went grocery shopping and noticed an elderly woman having problems getting her groceries into her car. After explaining to us that her carpal tunnel gave her problems, she thanked us over and over and gave us pieces of candy. Although the candy tasted like vomit, it still showed that she wanted to thank us somehow just for being nice to her.
    All of this reminds me of the commercial for Liberty Mutual where people are nice to each other, creating a chain reaction throughout the city. I think it really does happen. Aesop once said, “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” Because of this saying, I challenge everyone reading to be kinder to others around you and knock that chip off your shoulder. I know it’s cold, and school stresses everyone out, but I bet if you’re a nicer person, you will put the people around you in a good mood. And the best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer someone else up first.