Foglesong not considering WVU presidency

Mississippi State President Robert “Doc” Foglesong says he has no plans to leave MSU in exchange for a president’s position at West Virginia University, his alma mater.Although he could not be reached for comment, Foglesong told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, “You would have to blow me out with a stick of dynamite … This is the best gig I’ve ever had.”
    The WVU presidency will be vacant after current President David Hardesty retires in the fall. A search is underway at WVU, where a new president should be announced by April. The deadline for applications for the position was Jan. 15.
    Foglesong is a member of the WVU Academy of Distinguished Alumni, and his ties to the university have made him a natural choice for president.
    “I haven’t applied, and I don’t intend to apply,” Foglesong told the Daily Journal. He also said that no one has nominated him for the job.
    A WVU search committee is currently creating a wish list of candidates that will eventually be narrowed down to three finalists.
    West Virginia native Foglesong earned three degrees in chemical engineering from WVU before going on to become a 4-star general and commander of the U.S. Air Forces in Europe.
    After an intensive search, Foglesong succeeded Charles Lee as president of MSU in March 2006.
    Born in Mississippi during World War II, Fogelsong was raised in his father’s hometown of Williamson, W.V. He earned his bachelor’s degree from WVU in 1968, a master’s degree in 1969 and a doctorate in 1971, according to the WVU Web site.
    Foglesong began his career in the Air Force when he received his commission in 1972 through the Air Force ROTC program at WVU. He held various high profile positions within the Air Force during his 33-year career.
    He is known for engaging students and faculty on campus in order to get a better feel for the university. His plans for MSU include a push for greater diversity on campus and better international relations, he has said.