Staff picks: favorite albums this summer

INTERPOL
    OUR LOVE TO ADMIREInterpol already had a difficult task in successfully following up their stellar debut album ‘Turn On the Bright Lights.’ They did so beautifully with ‘Antics’ in 2004 to the delight of critics and fans alike. The big question: Could they make it three in a row? Three years passed before the New York-based group emerged with another resounding “yes.”
    ‘Our Love To Admire’ shows more progression and maturity, with consistent keyboard appearances adding another dimension to their already carefully crafted sound.
    Highlights include “Pioneer to the Falls,” “Heinrich Maneuver” and “Rest My Chemistry,” the group’s strongest epic since “Stella Was a Diver and She Was Always Down,” which originally appeared on ‘Turn On the Bright Lights.’ The quartet doesn’t break much new ground here, but the increased attention to detail is evident. These guys are consistent. Consistently great.
    RYAN ADAMS
    EASY TIGER
    The generation was crying out for a great new songwriter and fortunately, Ryan Adams took the job. This high school dropout turned troubadour never fails to impress.
    His newest release, ‘Easy Tiger,’ definitely does not fall short.
    There is some true gold on here but a few songs are kind of filler, but for a guy that put out three albums in 2005 I’ll let it slide.
    The opening track on the album, “Goodnight Rose,” is classic Adams. The quiver and strain in his voice and the I’m-going-to fit-every-last-syllable-in-this-line lyrics are classic.
    As for lyrical content, the whole album is well written. The second track is an amazing song, “Two,” perfectly describes the loneliness of that late night wanting of your former significant other. “Tears of Gold,” is another well written song. This album is darker than normal for Adams, and “Tears of Gold,” is the hallmark.
    My personal favorite is “Pearls on a String.” Adams takes a stab at bluegrass and hits dead center. Most bluegrass lyrics are dirt simple but make a point. “Pearls on a String” is right up there with “The Mountain” album by Steve Earle.
    All in all, Easy Tiger is a great listen. You have to run through it more than once to catch all the nuances, but it’s well worth it. Ryan Adams is well on his way to greatness if he keeps putting out stuff like this.
    WILCO
    SKY BLUE SKY
    While Wilco has never recorded a disappointing album, they’ve really hit their stride on their sixth studio LP thanks to the addition of guitar virtuoso Nels Cline and the honest, sincere vocals of core member/ringleader Jeff Tweedy.
    In the past, Tweedy had been unable to maintain a steady lineup, but the new six-member configuration has succeeded in remaining intact for more than two years. The consistency is starting to pay off, and Sky Blue Sky is the glorious result.
    Tweedy’s lyrics are better than ever, and it’s obvious the group is, for once, comfortably settled.
    Surprisingly, the album has only garnered good reviews and not great ones. Sure, the latest offering is no easy first listen, but listeners willing to overlook the lone weak track in “What Light” will find some of the strongest material Wilco have ever captured.
    Those expecting another ‘Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’ will have to keep playing the waiting game, but Sky Blue Sky is a definite candidate for “Album of the Year,” and it just might even be the group’s strongest effort so far.