MSU cross country goes the distance

Despite having to cope with the loss of their top runners, Mississippi State’s men’s and women’s cross country teams remain optimistic about the upcoming season. The Bulldogs will be without the services of departed graduates Travis McKay and Jennifer McPherson this season, two runners who set the pace for much of last season.
    McKay led State as the top Bulldog finisher in every meet of the 2006 campaign, while McPherson earned a trip to the national championships.
    While replacing them and seven other seniors from last year is a tough ask, there are several freshman recruits that have potential, men’s head coach Steve Dudley said.
    Ben Blankenship tops the list of new runners on the men’s team as the Minnesota state champion in several track and field distances and winner of three high school cross country meets in 2006.
    Blankenship will also be competing in the spring track in field season.
    “He’s probably one of the best freshmen we’ve ever brought in,” said men’s head coach Steve Dudley of Blankenship. “He’s the perfect combination of distance and endurance.”
    With nine seniors from last year heading for the exit, much will rely on the new recruits.
    Dudley heaped praise on his new freshmen, saying they added much needed talent and depth to the team.
    “We’ll definitely be looking upon some of them to be our lead runners this year,” said Dudley. “We have a young, talented team now, one that we’ll be looking to the future with.”
    Among the freshmen, Dudley singled out Matthew Cameron, of Madison, Miss, and Adam Lenz, of Montpelier, Ind., as well as junior transfer Michael Chapa, from Richmond, Va.
    With the men’s side adding nine freshmen runners, the women’s side is not far behind with five new names.
    Freshmen Emily Crow, Simon Domingue, Sarah Hammes, Diamond Marks, and Shannon McGee make up the new faces, while Annie Falor and Liz Grube remain as the only senior squad members.
    Both the men and women’s teams will compete in on Saturday, September 1, in the Sewanee Invitational for the first meet of the year.
    The Bulldogs will look for a repeat of last year, when they swept the competition on both the men’s and women’s sides.