West Point blues fest kicks off Thursday

“Point City Fest” is a four-day music festival to be held Aug. 30 through Sept. 2 to commemorate the life and accomplishments of legendary bluesman Howlin’ Wolf. Mr. Wolf, or Chester Arthur Burnett, is a West Point native. The Growth Alliance of Clay County and sponsors such as 2 Brothers have arranged an impressive celebration that will benefit both the city and the late guitarist’s legacy. On Thursday you can catch the unveiling of West Point’s marker on the Blues Trail of Mississippi, a statewide project memorializing the rich musical history found in Mississippi. This, as well as the bulk of Point City Fest’s other events, will be held at Waverly Waters in West Point.
    Headlined by Hubert Sumlin, guitarist for Howlin’ Wolf’s band, the lineup of performers is sure to impress even those unfamiliar with the pillars of blues music. “Steady Rollin'” Bob Margolin and his All-star Band will be performing along side Kenny Brown, The Burnside Exploration (including R.L. Burnside’s sons, Gary and Cedric) and Blues Old Stand among others.
    Any who fear a scheduling conflict with Thursday’s LSU game, do not fret. There will be buses taking Point City Fest-goers to and from the game.
    There will also be a campground area that will double as a tailgating spot for those in the mood for pre- and post-gaming.
    In addition to musical entertainment, Point City Fest and Guitar Hero are holding a contest where those who ascend the Guitar Hero ranks will have the chance to play the game on stage between sets.
    Other notable events and activities include fishing, canoe racing, hiking, hayriding and camping as well as participating in an assortment of tailgate and culinary competitions.