Softball reaches end of fall ball tournaments

Coming off a refreshingly victorious weekend of fall softball, the MSU Lady Diamond Dawgs will look to finish the fall semester with an unblemished record Saturday and Sunday.MSU will play four games this weekend for the first time this semester. In the Bulldogs’ previous tournaments, they have played only two games per weekend.
    MSU head coach Jay Miller is looking forward to this four-game weekend and said it will provide a foundation for the spring season.
    “This is our last weekend of fall play,” Miller said. “We have four games under our belt and four more this weekend. This will give us an idea of what it’s like to play tournaments in the spring when we play four games over a two-day stretch. This will give the freshmen some additional opportunities at the plate and more pitches.”
    Mississippi State will open the weekend against Hinds Community College. The Bulldogs will take on the Lady Eagles in a 3 p.m. contest Saturday. MSU will continue its Saturday slate in a 5 p.m. bout against the Holmes Community College Lady Bulldogs.
    Sunday will bring another doubleheader to the Maroon and White, as MSU will tango with its final in-state opponent of the semester, Delta State. The first pitch of the game against the Lady Statesmen is scheduled for 1 p.m.
    MSU’s final game of the tournament will pit the Lady Bulldogs against the West Alabama Tigers in a 3 p.m. contest Sunday.
    Miller said he is pleased with the way the fall schedule is going, and his goals for the team have been met for the most part.
    “I’ve been really pleased with the pitching we’ve been getting,” Miller said. “I think we need to improve defensively and become more consistent offensively. Once we make those improvements, I’ll be happy with where we’ve gotten.”
    On the other hand, Miller said that senior center fielder Hayle Guess would undergo shoulder surgery this week and could be out of the lineup for the beginning of the spring season. He hopes to use Guess offensively at least, depending on how rehab goes.
    Miller said freshman Lady Bulldog pitcher Misty Flesher has fared particularly well this semester. Two other freshmen, both position players, have also caught his eye.
    “I’ve been impressed by all the freshmen really,” Miller said. “Misty Flesher has done a great job on the mound for us on the first two weekends. Brittany Bell and Ali Bainbridge have played some nice defense, and they’ll be right in the mix when it’s time to make the starting lineups in the spring. The other freshmen have done well too and will be pushing the veterans for their starting jobs.”
    Miller said his team is looking forward to closing out its fall competition and beginning to prepare for the spring season.
    “We’re looking forward to winding down with a big weekend here,” Miller said. “Hopefully we’ll have some pretty nice crowds and some good weather to play in. We’ll be ready to play.