Dawgs top Tigers for second straight victory

The Bulldogs had been running the football all game long. So, why on third-and-goal, with the game on the line, would they even dream of doing anything different?
    With five minutes left in the fourth quarter, Christian Ducr took the football on a draw play, found a crease in the Auburn defense and romped five yards into the end zone, capturing a 19-14 Bulldog win over the Tigers.
    “We ran that play all week in practice,” Ducr said. “Once I saw the SAM [strong-side] linebacker get sealed, I knew I was going to score.”
    Saturday’s win marked the first time Mississippi State (2-1, 1-1) had beaten Auburn (1-2, 0-1) in seven years, and it had been eight since the Bulldogs were able to defeat the Tigers in Auburn.
    For the second straight year, head coach Sylvester Croom has been able to return to his home state of Alabama and steal a win from one of the state’s football powerhouses.
    Croom, who last season led the Bulldogs to defeat the Crimson Tide, said the win had nothing to do with him.
    “I told them [the players] that it wasn’t for me and that I had been here before,” Croom said. “I have beat Auburn a lot of times.”
    While the win may have been for the players, for one it was bittersweet.
    In the first quarter, starting quarterback Michael Henig left the game with a spiral fracture in his throwing hand. Henig is expected to miss two to four weeks after undergoing surgery on Monday.
    With Henig out, the Bulldogs turned to true freshman Wes Carroll to lead the offensive attack.
    “We didn’t plan on losing Mike, but the great thing is that the other players didn’t let it bother them,” Croom said. “Wes came in and kept it up. He did a great job making the calls.”
    Carroll wasn’t asked to do much. He completed three of the 10 pass attempts he took but most importantly didn’t turn the ball over.
    The Bulldogs ran the ball with outstanding precision, gaining 172 yards on the ground.
    Sophomore Anthony Dixon carried the ball 29 times for 103 yards, his second 100-yard rushing game of the season.
    Ducr rushed for 63 yards, and his touchdown in the fourth quarter was the Bulldogs only offensive touchdown.
    The Tigers also found themselves with quarterback troubles.
    Senior Brandon Cox threw two first-quarter interceptions, one of which safety Derek Pegues returned 20 yards for a touchdown.
    Cox was benched in the first quarter and replaced by freshman Kodi Burns.
    More of a spread-option style quarterback, Burns energized the Auburn offense with his legs, running for 87 yards against the Bulldogs.
    He lead the Tigers on both of their first half scoring drives, giving Auburn a 14-13 lead at halftime.
    “We knew they were going to play Burns, but it was hard to get ready for two different types of quarterbacks,” Croom said. “I thought our guys did a great job adjusting. We weren’t sure exactly how much Kodi would play.”
    The Bulldog defense and special teams continued to play strong for a second consecutive week, especially in the fourth quarter.
    Faced with a fourth down at its own 16, State brought out punter Blake McAdams, hoping to pin the Tigers as far back as possible.
    The results were better than expected. McAdams’ punt hit in Auburn territory and took a few generous bounces before finally settling down at the Tigers’ 11-yard line; a 73-yard punt.
    Croom said the punt was a critical play in the game.
    After intercepting a pass that set up the Ducr touchdown, Auburn had one more chance to steal the Bulldogs’ thunder.
    Cox returned to the game and led the Tigers down the field to the Bulldog 9-yard line. After three passes for no gain, Cox stood with a fourth and goal and a chance to add to his Auburn legacy.
    However, MSU defensive end Titus Brown saw differently. Brown rushed Cox, forcing him to throw the ball sooner than he wanted. The ball landed harmlessly in the front of the end zone, securing a Bulldog victory.
    “We just sucked up our guts and finished,” Brown said.