Ferguson’s hard work pays off

For Mississippi State senior Treena Ferguson, home is where the soccer is.Hailing from Sarnia, Ontario, State’s Canadian forward has amassed a vast array of statistics for her goal scoring prowess during her four years in Starkville.
    Since earning a regular starting spot last year, Ferguson has led the team in shots points and most importantly, goals.
    Her five goals this year came in the first five games, eclipsing her own MSU record of points recorded in consecutive games.
    Doubtless, Ferguson is at home in front of the net, no matter where she is.
    Even so, her decision to transplant herself from the Great White North to the Deep South may seem an odd one. Fortunately for MSU soccer, it is cold in Canada.
    “I was just really excited that it was warm all year round,” Ferguson said. “And I really like that people here are just very up front and nice, and the overall impression I got was very welcoming, and it made me want to come here.”
    Ferguson, an animal and dairy sciences major, said the university’s veterinary program, along with her future teammates, helped make the decision an easier one.
    “I wanted to go to vet school, or work with animals, and so I cross-referenced the best vet schools and soccer schools, and sent in a bunch of tapes of me playing,” she said. “From there I just kind of talked to the schools and the different coaches.”
    Head coach Neil MacDonald was more than happy to accommodate. Ferguson was already a proven goal scorer at her club team in Canada, captaining the squad to five consecutive league titles, as well as setting a league record for goals scored in a single season.
    In addition to her goal-scoring abilities, Ferguson has also turned provider in recent games.
    Her first career assist came this season against Georgia Southern, before providing another the following week against Western Kentucky.
    Despite her obvious talents, Ferguson’s introduction into the starting lineup was gradual. Her freshman year accumulated a total of just 26 minutes and 16 seconds of playing time, and her first three starts were earned the following year. The 2006 season proved to be a breakout year for the striker, as she started 13 games for the Bulldogs and led the team with seven goals.
    Ferguson, who looks set to eclipse last season’s goal tally already, insists this talent did not just lay latent during her first two years. Her current success, she says, comes down to old fashioned hard work and determination.
    “I’ve never really been the type of person that likes to be second place,” she said. “I just decided that while I’m here I’ll try to make the best of it, and be the best I can be.
    “I love to play to the game, I’d rather go out and play than anything else. I’m always practicing and watching a lot of soccer. I also play in a men’s league at home sometimes, which is more physical and has a faster speed of play, so I did a variety of things to help me get better.”
    Ferguson is also quick to point out the influence MacDonald and assistant coach Andy Manners has had on her game.
    “Neil and Andy work very well together,” she said. “One’s good at explaining, and one’s good at showing, and they just compliment each other really well. They’re really easy to get along with and talk to, and if you want extra help, they’re willing to do that.”
    Hoping to earn her master’s degree here, and even considering managing the team for a couple of years, Ferguson shows no signs that her stay in the warm climes of Starkville has been an unpleasant one. After four years here, she says the experience has taught her plenty.
    “Playing for State has taught me a lot about teamwork, and that you really can achieve your goals if you set your mind to it,” she said. “From my experience, I’ve definitely learned how to manage my time, do the best that I can do, and get through a lot of frustrating things with the help of my team.”
    While she is intent on smashing her goal tally of last season and equally hopeful of earning all-SEC honors, Ferguson says her main goal this season is just to help the team do well.
    “I think that this year we have a team that gets along a lot better than any of the other years that I’ve been here,” she said. “I think our team chemistry awesome and that if we pull together, we will accomplish great things.”
    Still, much of Ferguson’s focus is reserved for the most immediate of tasks. Friday’s home match against North Florida should prove an important one, as the Bulldog’s (3-3) look to improve to a winning record.
    “I didn’t have the greatest game on Sunday, so I’m hoping to come out really strong on Friday and beat North Florida, and then on Sunday beat Memphis,” she said.
    While neutral supporters may be surprised at her easy assurances, teammates and fans from the last four years know that her confidence has been duly earned.