MSU seeks students to fill summer positions

Once a year, the office of admissions conducts a search for students who can display leadership abilities in order to fulfill the role of a Mississippi State orientation leader. More than 100 students typically apply for the opportunity, but only 18 are picked. Those chosen must work hard to learn facts about the university, among other things, in order to give incoming MSU students a proper introduction to their new lives.The time has come again to search for a new group of orientation leaders. Students interested in becoming orientation leaders for the summer of 2008 may turn in applications this week. Next Tuesday, a candidate meeting will be held to discuss the qualifications necessary to be an orientation leader.
    Group interviews begin Oct. 24, and seven candidates will be interviewed at a time out of about 120 to 130 candidates.
    During the first weeks in November, individual interviews, lasting thirty minutes each, will be held for the remaining candidates.
    Nathan Moore, assistant director of admissions and scholarships, said that by Nov. 12, the 18 leaders will be selected.
    Prospective orientation leaders must have at least a 2.25 grade point average and must not be enrolled in more than 16 hours during the spring 2008 semester.
    Moore said during the selection process, he will be looking for someone who is going to represent MSU in front of prospective students and their families. He also said it is important that those chosen to be orientation leaders are friendly, outgoing people and are able to get up in front of groups and interact well with others.
    Nelson said the many early mornings and the workload that comes with the position is difficult but all of that is forgotten after the experience.
    “Being an orientation leader is a great experience because you get to meet all the new freshmen and share information about MSU with them,” 2007 orientation leader Brittany Smith said. “Also, you get to help them feel comfortable at MSU, so that they can love it here and call it home.”
    Nelson and Smith said one of the best things about their experiences was getting to know the other orientation leaders and becoming a family.
    Moore said serving MSU as an orientation leader is a life-changing experience and a growth opportunity for MSU students.