Rowling’s assertion determines truth

Matt Watson is the opinion editor at The Reflector. He can be contacted at [email protected].We have all heard of J.K. Rowling’s announcement of Dumbledore’s sexuality. This much-needed announcement came during a pivotal time – after Rowling had already written the series.
    She revealed the hidden story of Dumbledore not in her book, but in a question-and-answer session with fans at Carnegie Hall. The answer was in response to the question: Will Dumbledore ever find “true love?”
    Although this slice of knowledge has been under attack lately, it was a necessary move. It often happens when writers forget to put certain details in their work. All they have to do is tell everyone what they meant to add into the story, and it becomes part of the work. It’s a basic literary tool.
    That’s why it is so important to skim news archives and resource materials when reading older books, otherwise you don’t really get the whole thing.
    I recall a time when I was around 12 years old, arguing with someone about the inner workings of the lightsaber. If we had only known then to consult a Star Wars Expanded Universe guide, we would have discovered that ancient Adegan crystals are used to concentrate light in the saber’s power cell.
    Many writers of storylines with gay characters have failed to employ the technique used by Rowling. By doing so, they hinder gay rights.
    Examples include the creators of Batman and Spongebob Squarepants. They haven’t come out and said it, but Batman is certainly in a pedophilic relationship with Robin, whose real name is Dick, as matter of fact.
    And who shows more signs of homosexual tendencies than Spongebob? I would say he’s the most open about his sexuality.
    In one Spongebob episode, Mr. Krabs tries to talk Squarepants out of keeping a hat worth millions of dollars by telling him it makes him look like a girl. Spongebob blushes and responds, “Am I pretty?”
    Don’t ask me how I know that, but surely the truth can’t be more obvious. So what if no one can establish Spongebob as “officially” gay? As in Dumbledore’s case, all the signs point to it. It really doesn’t matter whether the creator of Spongebob, Stephen Hillenburg, knows it or not. It is objective truth.
    Hillenburg should hurry and confirm this truth in order to promote “prolonged tolerance,” as Rowling would say. How else will kids be educated on matters of sex without their favorite cartoon character to teach them?
    At times, I imagine how intolerant the world would be if it wasn’t for the many gay characters that exist on children shows. Teletubby Tinky Winky and Bert and Ernie are two more examples. In the past, they have been figures of sex gossip, which must be beneficial for teaching children human rights.
    All sarcasm aside, it is beyond me how the author of a book can tell part of the story extant from the book itself.
    Furthermore, many “Harry Potter” fans have been left seriously pondering and internalizing this information. When these kinds of things happen, we have to remind ourselves of one thing: It’s not real.