Editorial: SA must step up, actually represent MSU student body

The SA open forum Tuesday was a noble attempt to hear the voices of MSU students. However, the idea would have been more useful if SA President Jeremy Johnson hadn’t phoned in his answers. The problem is the SA hasn’t had much of a presence on campus this semester. Now, when the organization finally opens up, students received many mouthpiece answers from the person who should stand up for student issues.
    When questioned about the relationship between students and the administration, Johnson said student input is “very important” but then claimed the input doesn’t “swing decisions” in a lot of cases. How is the input very important if it doesn’t help make decisions consistently? It’s up to the SA to make sure the administration knows student input should play a part in most, if not all, decisions. In fact, Johnson is paid to hold the administration accountable.
    Johnson also said MSU students and the administration have a “great relationship.” However, this statement doesn’t reflect what students are feeling right now on a number of issues, such as the lack of bike racks on campus and the new housing policy. Although President Robert “Doc” Foglesong will appear to play with BARK, he hasn’t connected enough with students in relation to what they need.
    In response to a question about the shuttle route shortage, Johnson attributed the problem to an increase of students and a loss of sponsors. This answer overlooks how the administration created a transportation problem for students when it cut the shuttle fleet in half. There should have been an outrage over this action from the SA office. Sadly, the SA did not do that.
    We realize transportation costs money like anything else, but no one should expect the shuttle system to pay for itself. Public transportation is a service, not a moneymaker. On the other hand, we’re happy to hear from the SA that the Night Route won’t be cut. That news was one of the only positive highlights of the forum.
    In regard to the bike rack policy on campus, Johnson said the policy is ultimately the administration’s decision, despite the negative student input about the policy. We think this is a defeatist attitude. Instead of being complacent, SA members should be telling the administration that students have the right to park their bikes on campus.
    Johnson also attempted to pass the blame for the bike rack policy on Jim Jones. We don’t think this is a fair viewpoint. Jones is not the only person involved in decision-making. Moreover, the SA should share the blame for not working harder to make this campus more pedestrian-friendly and accessible to students who want to ride bikes.
    In short, the SA has a responsibility to carry the student body’s voice through the recent barriers the administration has apparently constructed. Johnson promised during his campaign to keep his finger on the pulse of students. Right now, his finger is on his desk. We hope the SA will take this late opportunity to stand up to the administration for its misinformed decisions.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Matt Watson, news editor Erin Kourkounis, sports editor Melissa Meador, entertainment editor David Breland, photo editor Bud Sorey, online editor C.J. LeMaster, managing editor Nathan Gregory and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.