‘Golden Compass’ deserves boycott

Jed Pressgrove is a graduate student in sociology. He can be contacted at [email protected].“The Golden Compass,” an upcoming film based on a book marketed toward young people, has stirred discussion among two distinct groups of people: diehard fans of the book and defenders of religion.
    Actually, I say “distinct” when “dull” might be the correct adjective.
    First, we should take a look at Philip Pullman, the author of “The Golden Compass,” to establish what kind of genius is responsible for this unfortunate controversy.
    Pullman has called himself both an atheist and an agnostic (translation: a writer without a dictionary). In a 2001 interview with The Washington Post, he implied that the “His Dark Materials” series – “The Golden Compass” being the American title of the first book – was an attempt to dismantle the credibility of Christianity.
    In an interview sponsored by Christian Aid UK, Pullman said with any organized religion – whether its roots are Christian or Islamic, for example – “you see cruelty and tyranny and repression.”
    After I read this quote, I almost started my own religion based on worshipping Pullman and his ultra-mega-logical beliefs. But then I started thinking and developed an interesting thesis: Perhaps Pullman is a blowhard.
    One can certainly be justified in citing the shortcomings of organized religion. However, I can’t take Pullman’s generalization seriously when organized religion has helped so many people. I’m sure numerous Hurricane Katrina victims would agree: When everyone else was arguing, organized religion was helping.
    If only Pullman could be the sole Cro-Magnon involved in this controversy. Using only a casual Google search, you can find a slew of arguments from religious followers indicating that “The Golden Compass” movie should be boycotted. You can also see counterarguments from some of Pullman’s readers, who adamantly claim they won’t go to hell or get in trouble with God for watching the film.
    Actually, you might gain God’s disapproval if you go to the film. I’m just guessing that overblown, over-budgeted, soulless, effects-laden, book-to-film adaptations is one of many things from which a divine creator could grow sick.
    My viewpoint on this issue is simple. “The Golden Compass” books should be boycotted because they’re targeted primarily at young people, and the film should be boycotted because it’s related to the books.
    Looking at many Internet resources, I could not determine whether Pullman’s series is targeted mainly at children or teenagers. Different sources featured different takes. Regardless, the spirit of St. Peter told me the books are not worth reading. And his facts are normally solid as a rock.
    In the majority of cases, popular novels targeted toward young people are neither art nor entertainment. They are usually well-crafted marketing campaigns and nothing else.
    And no, these types of books don’t teach children to read, and they don’t teach children how to enjoy reading. People teach children to read, and they should start teaching children the difference between established examples of literature and products of capitalism.
    Lastly, I have never read these books, and I don’t plan to. That might make my opinion invalid to some people. But just as I know what will be showcased in a pornographic film without having to watch it, I also know the relative quality of a book marketed toward underdeveloped brains without having to read it. Especially if it’s not written by Dr. Seuss, the man who wrote and illustrated stories for spaced-out, druggie children. Now that’s who Pullman should imitate.