Former Diamond Dawg allegedly implicated in steroid use scandal

Former All-Southeastern Conference member and Mississippi State Diamond Dawg Adam Piatt has been named in the recently released Mitchell Report, containing a veritable roster of former and current major league baseball players involved with steroid use.Other Mississippi players named in the report include former Southern Miss player Kevin Young, who helped bring the Golden Eagles to their first Regional tournament in 1990, and Exavier “Nook” Logan, who played at Copiah-Lincoln Community College.
    All three players were named as associates of Kirk Radomski, former New York Mets employee and personal trainer. Radomski, through cooperation with federal law enforcement officials in California, helped name former clients in the 409-page report.
    The report also indicated Piatt received two checks for $3,100 and $3,200 from then-Oakland A’s teammate Miguel Tejada. Tejada, who now serves as shortstop for the Houston Astros, allegedly purchased human growth hormone from Piatt.
    The Mitchell Report represented the culmination of a 20-month investigative effort by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell. Baseball commissioner Bud Selig hired Mitchell to investigate what he called the “Steroids Era” of professional baseball.
    Piatt, who helped the Bulldogs make several NCAA Tournament appearances, led the team in 1996 with a .370 batting average. Piatt played mostly at 3rd base and was named to the conference’s All-SEC unit in 1997.
    The full text of the report is available at http://www.clarionledger.com/assets/pdf/D0941011213.PDF”>here.
    ESPN.com has an abridged version containing player names at http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153646