Career reception aids grad students

The College of Business and Industry’s graduate studies program hosted the fourth annual corporate career reception on Tuesday in the Hunter Henry Center. About 25 corporations and businesses from around the United States were in attendance, along with 67 graduate students.
    Anthony Lowe, who was a graduate student four years ago, initiated the event.
    “I felt that companies did not know the quality of students at MSU,” he said.
    Lowe introduced the idea to graduate studies professors in the College of Business, who agreed with the idea.
    Barbara Spencer, professor of marketing and director of graduate studies in business, described the event as “corporate speed dating.”
    The advantage of this system over a career fair is that students are guaranteed to meet and talk to a company representative, Spencer said.
    Many graduate students find job opportunities from the speed dating-like process. Companies will make an impression on a student, or a student will impress a representative and set up an interview at another time and location.
    District manager for AstraZeneca and MSU graduate Brad Smith said the process is just as competitive for companies as it is for businesses.
    “The speed dating gives us an opportunity to share positive aspects about our company while getting to know the student,” he said.
    Many representatives from companies attend these mini-career fairs looking for future employees and get a grasp on what MSU students have to offer.
    “I thought having an event where you could meet both students and professors was so beneficial for companies,” Northwestern Mutual Financial Network representative Anne Coleman said. “These types of relationships that we are trying to make are beneficial for us and the students. We are trying to hire their students, and they are trying to educate their students about us and the job force.”
    Brian Havard, graduate student and co-planner of the event, says the event is concentrated on building relationships with the college and businesses.
    Mississippi State University was the first university in Mississippi to successfully plan a corporate speed-interviewing event. The concept was created from a model used in other universities. It is also similar to the process used in hiring faculty in higher education.