Letter to the Editor

Thank God that Krystle Hunter is an accounting major and apparently has no aspirations of holding political office. She clearly illustrated that she understands neither the Christian faith she professes nor the Bill of Rights. The first and most important principle of the Christian faith is the principle of free will. This principle forbids the use of the force of law to spread the Christian faith, which is exactly what Miss Hunter advocated in her letter.
    The First Amendment of the United States Constitution reads, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” This also applies to state and local officials. The “blue laws” advocated by Miss Hunter are certainly passed with respect to the Christian faith.
    Liberals often misapply the biblical concept of separation of church and state, but it is applied correctly in this case – to prevent the government from using the law to force one individual to adapt their behavior to the religion of another. If people wish to ban alcohol sales, they’ll have to ban them Monday through Saturday as well, and for reasons other than those stated by Miss Hunter.
    Contrary to popular belief, the United States is not a democracy with majority or, as I prefer, mob rule. We are a constitutional republic with a rule of law that allows individuals to decide which behavior they will or will not participate in so long as those behaviors do not violate the civil rights of other individuals.
    Kerry Hunt