MSU baseball wins Governor’s Cup

The No. 15 Mississippi State baseball team ended a four-game losing streak to No. 19 Mississippi in the first-ever Governor’s Cup game (formerly known as the Mayor’s Trophy game), defeating the Rebels 14-9 Tuesday night in front of 8,012 fans at Trustmark Park in Pearl.MSU improved to 4-0 all-time at Trustmark Park.
    The Bulldogs jumped out to an early lead, up 3-0 at the end of the first inning and 4-0 by the middle of the third.
    However, the Rebels used a six-hit frame in the bottom of the third to tie the game at four.
    In the top of the fifth inning, the Bulldogs (24-8) scored seven to take a commanding lead. The Rebels (25-14) rallied in the bottom of the inning, though, scoring four runs and tightening the ballgame once again.
    However, the Bulldog bullpen would allow only five hits and one run over the final four innings, securing the win for MSU starter Tyler Whitney (4-1).
    “Great crowd, great atmosphere, disappointing night,” Rebel head coach Mike Bianco said. “It just blew up on us.”
    On offense, Joseph McCaskill, Mitch Moreland, Brandon Turner and Mark Goforth all logged three-hit outings and combined for nine of the Bulldogs’ 14 runs.
    Even though the game does not count toward either team’s Southeastern Conference standings, it is no less important to the players and fans who look for any possible edge over an archrival.
    “It’s something we really concentrated on this year,” said senior Jeffrey Rea. “In the years past I don’t know if the intensity has been where it should be, one of our goals we set earlier this season was to get the win.”
    The game, a three-hour-and-50-minute affair, saw a series-record 23 runs and 30 hits. The teams combined to use 12 pitchers.
    The contest was the first of a five-year contract both schools agreed to in the off-season that will keep the game at Trustmark Park until at least 2011.
    The midweek game had been held at Smith-Wills Stadium in Jackson for the last 27 years. Jackson mayor Frank Melton told The Clarion Ledger that he plans on setting up another “Mayor’s Trophy” game between Jackson State and Alcorn State.
    “And I will fill that stadium with young people and families,” Melton said. “I’m excited about doing that because people love to see those teams. I’m going to make sure that stadium is packed.