Student Association appoints new treasurer

The Student Association picked its treasurer for the 2007-2008 school year March 27 after a process of applications and interviews beginning after the SA elections in February.Hunter Barlow, a senior in banking and finance, was chosen by SA chief of staff Megan Fly and SA President Jeremy Johnson.
    Fly said the process of finding a treasurer was long but well worth it.
    “We wanted someone who was not only dedicated to the position of treasurer, but also the SA as a whole,” Fly said.
    Fly said four candidates applied for the treasurer position. She said that after reviewing the applications, she and Johnson interviewed each of the four candidates while keeping specific characteristics in mind.
    “We looked at their majors and their credibility in accounting,” she said. “We felt that Hunter Barlow was the strongest applicant.”
    She said she believes Barlow is well-suited for the position.
    “We are very excited about Hunter serving as our treasurer. We felt like we not only picked a great person to serve Mississippi State, but also a person who will represent every student across our campus,” Fly said. “He is very well-rounded and has a sincere and true service heart and will really bring a lot to the Student Association.”
    Barlow said he became interested in joining the staff when he learned the position was available.
    “Once I saw who I would be working with, I knew I could do a good job,” he said. “I respect each member of the staff and think that it is one of the best staffs I could be a part of.”
    Barlow said the application process was not very stressful and that he appreciated the other applicants. Once he learned who he was up against, he knew it would be a tough position to be selected for, he said.
    When Barlow found out he was appointed treasurer, he said he was excited and ready to get to business.
    “I am very excited to be the new treasurer,” Barlow said. “I look forward to getting started and getting each and every student-run organization its deserved dues. I also look forward to working with the incredible staff we’ve got. I know I’ll do my best.”
    SA Sen. W.C. McClendon said there were no treasurer candidates in the actual election due to complications in the first race. He said under the SA constitution, it is the SA president’s duty to appoint a treasurer if one is not elected.