Lady Dawgs tamed by LSU in doubleheader

The Mississippi State softball squad ended its April home SEC schedule by being on the wrong side of history Saturday.The Bulldogs (27-19, 9-10) fell to No. 6 Louisiana State (42-6, 16-3) twice over the weekend, getting swept by the Tigers 4-1 and 4-3.
    (“Obviously), you’d rather have a win than a close loss,” MSU head coach Jay Miller said. “But this shows we’re hanging right in there with teams like we need to be, but we have to start taking advantage of the situations we’re in.”
    The twin bill against LSU marked the first time since 1997 that MSU played in two extra-inning games as part of a double header. In that season, the Dawgs upended the Kentucky Wildcats in each of the day’s games, winning 6-1 in eight innings and 12-7 in 11.
    The Dawgs wouldn’t fare as well Saturday, however, as the sixth-best team in America snatched the victories from the hometown Bulldogs, each game won in the ninth inning.
    The first battle between the two teams featured each team’s starting pitcher shutting down the opposition.
    Both MSU player Kelli Miller and Dani Hofer of LSU, allowed only one hit apiece throughout regulation, not allowing a single run.
    The LSU offense finally wore down Miller, however, and scored four runs that Miller was responsible for. Sara Hickerson replaced Miller in the ninth.
    Hofer, however, continued to silence the Lady Bulldog bats, as she went on to pitch a rare extra-inning complete game, allowing one run on four hits, striking out 13.
    “She [Hofer] did a nice job,” Miller said. “I thought we helped her and made her look a lot better than she was, by swinging at a lot of bad pitches, but she really did a nice job.”
    The second game of the afternoon doubleheader wouldn’t be as one-sided when it comes to offense and defense, as runs were actually scored in regulation.
    MSU, led by junior shortstop Courtney Bures, who went 3-for-5 on the second game, worked through four members of LSU’s pitching staff, even forcing them to use Hofer again in the latter part of the contest.
    The game was tied 3-3 at the end of seven innings, but in the ninth inning, a sacrifice fly by LSU’s Rachel Mitchell gave the Lady Tigers a one-run lead.
    Hofer’s appearance in the final few innings of the game led to the Bulldogs’ demise, as the Maroon-clad girls were unable to answer in the bottom of the ninth, leading to a series sweep by LSU.
    The two losses drop MSU below .500 in the SEC with a 9-10 record, though there are still nine conference games left on the schedule.
    The next dish on the Bulldogs’ platter will be a two-night game set against a couple of nonconference opponents.
    “Hopefully, these games will give us an opportunity to gain some of our confidence back and to build back up some of our fundamentals before we head to Georgia this weekend,” Miller added.
    Tuesday, MSU will welcome the Blazers of UAB to Starkville and for the second time this season.
    On March 20, the Bulldogs defeated the Blazers 5-0 in Birmingham, Ala.
    The Bulldogs will travel to Itta Bena, Wednesday, to take on the
    Delta Devilettes of Mississippi Valley State, whom MSU defeated at home 10-2 in five innings on Feb. 21. In that game, the Lady Bulldogs scored in every inning and banged out 11 hits. Both game times are scheduled for 6 p.m.