Web site supports superficiality

Do you consider yourself rather good-looking? Do you consider yourself above average in relation to other singles? Have you ever considered online dating? If you answered yes to all three questions, I have good news! You may be qualified to join HotEnough.org, a new online dating Web site. But wait – don’t bank on becoming a member that easily. Before you can join, the other members must vote on you to make sure that you are, indeed, “hot enough” to join.
    That’s right, this is one dating Web site that is intentionally trying to attract a certain group of singles: the attractive kind.
    Here’s the site description:
    “Attractive, fit singles like you deserve an above average dating pool and the leading online dating sites just don’t meet that standard. Online dating sites are a great way to meet that future soul mate – much better than trying to make a connection at a bar or club. Yet, on most leading dating sites, it simply takes too long to sift through the swarm of photos, e-mails and teases to find a compatible match.
    “That’s where HotEnough.org comes in. We’re filling that long-standing void in the online dating industry. With our selective screening and voting process, you know from the start that our members will be much more compatible to your taste. As a HotEnough member, you get full access to our attractive clientele.”
    Jason Pellegrino and Sean Cohen are the masterminds behind this site. According to an article on CNN.com, they said they made HotEnough.org “after concluding that Internet dating sites attract a lot of brave and desperate people but not particularly attractive ones.” Their solution: Make beauty a requirement for membership.
    This is the way the site works: You fill out an initial application, which asks for the normal information (name, e-mail, birth date, etc.) and for three photos of yourself. The picture requirements state that you must include at least one full body shot, and you may include only one professional shot.
    After you submit your information, a screen pops up, reminding you that your application is now under review and that you will not be able to access the site until you have been deemed attractive enough by the other members.
    You also receive an e-mail that thanks you for registering and informs you of the following: “Weve received your registration and were judging your photos. We will let you know shortly if you are hot enough to be a prospective member.” The improper punctuation came directly from the e-mail, by the way.
    At this point, your membership is in the hands of all the other singles who are obviously secure in their own hotness. These people judge your three pictures and rate them on a scale of 1 to 10. You must be rated at least an 8 to become a member.
    Can anyone say superficial? Or, in the case of whoever edits the type for the HotEnough Web site, spell the word? To me, this dating site would simply be a pool of inflated egos.
    While I’m aware that looks do matter in dating, they are not the crux of the issue. Sure, everyone wants to date someone they’re attracted to, but looks don’t last forever. Those stunning features and that perfectly toned body are subject to the wear and tear of time. A relationship built solely on the basis of how hot the two people involved are cannot be a solid one.
    Perhaps the intentions of the site were more honorable than I’m making them out to be. However, I’ve perused the selection of hot people on the site, men and women, and I have to say I’m not overly impressed. These people would be considered handsome or beautiful, I suppose, but I did not see one that I would call attractive.
    I guess it depends on your definition of the word. When I am attracted to a person, looks certainly come into play, but so do personality, temperament and character. Beauty can be negated by vanity, in my opinion.
    But perhaps that is not OK with everyone. In any case, if you have been looking for that elite dating pool that excludes all non-attractive singles, your opportunity is here. But don’t be too hasty – remember, you still have to be voted hot enough before you can take part.