Spring game a chance for development

In the South, there are three important dates to every football fan: the start of the season, signing day and spring football. On Saturday, Mississippi State fans will get the opportunity to see the 2007 football squad first hand.
    The annual Maroon and White game is set for Saturday at noon at Davis Wade Stadium as part of Super Bulldog Weekend.
    This spring, the Bulldogs have been hard at work trying to improve on last season in which the team finished 3-9.
    Starting quarterback Michael Henig returns this season at full strength after suffering two surgeries on his collarbone. In the past two scrimmages, Henig has thrown for 246 yards and two touchdown passes.
    The goal for this year’s team headed into the spring was to improve on the running game, which ranked last in the SEC at only 95 yards per game.
    Sophomore running back Anthony Dixon is showing much improvement from his first season in the MSU backfield.
    This spring, Dixon has rushed for 194 yards and a pair of touchdowns, one on a 67-yard run through the defense.
    Trying to solidify the backup tailback position, sophomore Christian Ducre has performed well. Ducre has rushed for 271 yards and six touchdowns this spring while working in most short yardage situations.
    The defense, trying to reload due to several players graduating, is progressing this summer. This spring, the unit recorded 12 sacks and an interception.
    Head coach Sylvester Croom says he sees improvement among the defensive unit.
    “I was pleased with our defense,” Croom said. “We hit well and had some guys step up. Our pursuit and tackling got a lot better, and we didn’t miss tackles.