Banikova shines for struggling Bulldogs

Martina Banikova does not know the meaning of giving up. It is not the language that eludes the Slovakian native, but merely the concept. In the Mississippi State lady netters’ last two matches, the sophomore took home the only point for the Bulldogs, adding an inconsequential yet defiant “1” to each of the 6-1 score lines.
    Away at Kentucky, shut out in the first set and the last Bulldog left on the court, Banikova stubbornly fought her way back to a 0-6, 6-4, 6-2 win.
    Repeating the feat at Vanderbilt two days later, again a set down and the last to play in a losing effort, she secured an improbable super tiebreaker victory versus her 32nd-ranked opponent.
    Banikova’s persistent determination during the last two games has been an exercise in futility.
    While conceding this, the former junior doubles champion of Slovakia admits that the team score is not the only one that matters.
    “You are here to play for the team, but sometimes you have to be selfish,” Banikova said. “It’s hard, but after the team is losing, you have to play for yourself.”
    This attitude has allowed Banikova to overcome her shaky first season to claim an 8-3 record this year in the No. 1 slot.
    Head coach Tracy Lane cannot heap enough praise on the sophomore, citing mental fortitude and determination as the key ingredients to her success this year.
    “So many times it doesn’t come down to what a player can do physically or technically, but how they adapt psychologically,” Lane said. “She’s definitely shown that.”
    Among Banikova’s many fallen opponents this year, two were ranked inside the top 40 nationally.
    She remains outside the national rankings herself but is optimistic about her chances and is firmly set on achieving that goal.
    “I think my chances are pretty good,” Banikova said. “I think I need two or more good wins against ranked opponents, and I can be there.”
    As if it was not unlikely enough for just one native of Kosice, Slovakia, to be playing her trade in Mississippi, Banikova shares the courts with her high school teammate, Daniela Juskova. Banikova says the improbable locale switch came down to good recruiting and a bit of luck.
    “I think the coach found out about me through a friend, and I just brought Daniela with me,” Banikova said. “My dream was always to come to America after high school.”
    As well as dominating singles matches, Banikova has also formed a formidable doubles pairing with freshman Valeriya Makarycheva.
    The Slovakian/Russian tandem holds the top doubles position on the team and recently upset a 20th-ranked pairing from Auburn.
    Her coach summed up Banikova’s achievements thus far, attributing it to pure grit and determination.
    “She took her game into her own hands, worked hard and pushed herself everyday, and it’s really paid off,” Lane said. “She deserves everything she’s achieved so far.”
    Despite competing internationally while in Slovakia, Banikova holds aspirations beyond tennis.
    “I would like to do something in business and hopefully get a master’s or some other higher education,” said Banikova. “By the time I get out of college, I will be too old for tennis.”
    Until then, however, MSU tennis fans will hope she doesn’t age too quickly.