Michigan deals Dawgs first loss of ’07 season

The Diamond Dawgs completed this weekend with a 2-1 record in the Cadence Classic, beating Troy in two games and being handed their first loss of the season by Michigan on Saturday.
    Friday
    The Bulldogs won their first game of the Cadence Classic beating Troy University 2-1. Sophomore right-hander Aaron Weatherford pitched seven complete innings, giving up only three hits.
    Weatherford struck out seven hitters and retired 15 straight batters after giving up a run in the second inning. He retired 16 of the last 17 batters he faced before giving up a double to Troy’s Brian Miller.
    “It was just one of those days where you have control over everything,” Weatherford said. “We also played well as a team. It took everybody to win this game.”
    Junior Chad Crosswhite earned his second save of the year after giving up three hits, two of them singles in the ninth inning. Troy stranded two runners in the ninth inning when Crosswhite struck out Troy pinch-hitter Matt Tanzi.
    “This game really helps us with the future, seeing good arms and facing better hitters,” junior catcher Edward Easley said.
    MSU head coach Ron Polk was impressed by Troy right-hander Clegg Snipes – who struck out five and allowed two runs on five hits – and the challenge that he dealt the Bulldogs.
    “This was a good win against a quality opponent,” Polk said. “Aaron pitched well, and we hit the ball hard at times today, especially early in the game. But they made a couple of defensive plays in the outfield, and you have to give a lot of credit to the job their starting pitcher did.”
    Weatherford’s only earned run of the game occurred in the second inning when Brian Miller singled, followed by an RBI double by third baseman Brett Henry.
    The Bulldogs’ two runs both took place in the bottom of the third inning. Center-fielder Mark Goforth doubled down the left field line, and Easley, junior first baseman Mitch Moreland and senior designated hitter Brian LaNinfa all followed with two-out singles.
    Easley’s hit knocked in the first run for the Dawgs, and LaNinfa’s single sent Easley home.
    Eight of the nine MSU starters got hits, while senior second baseman Jeffrey Rea was the only Bulldog to have two hits.
    Saturday
    Michigan dealt the Bulldogs their first loss of the 2007 season in their second game of the Cadence Classic, winning 4-3.
    “We fought hard and never gave up,” Moreland said. “I think that’s how our team is. We’re going to fight until the last out, that’s for sure. We lost one today, and I imagine there will be some more to come.”
    Junior Justin Pigott recorded a career-high nine strikeouts and walked only one hitter but had three of the four earned runs.
    The Wolverines jumped on Pigott first in the second inning with four consecutive two-out hits. Catcher Doug Pickens scored first on a wind-blown home run to right-center field.
    Right fielder Ben Roblin then singled up the middle, stole second and scored on a single by second baseman Anthony Toth.
    In the third inning, shortstop Jason Christian reached base on a throwing error, Nate Recknagel singled, and Adam Abraham followed with a run scoring base hit to left field.
    Pigott held Michigan scoreless from the fourth through the seventh inning before a solo home run by Recknagel to open the eighth inning.
    Michigan starting pitcher Zach Putnam turned in a solid pitching performance, allowing one run on three hits in his seven innings of work. He also recorded six strikeouts.
    “Putnam was the king of the day,” Polk said. “You have to tip your hat to a guy like that. He’s a good athlete. If you watch this year, he’s going to dominate the Big 10, probably be pitcher of the year in the Big 10. We can look back and say that we got beat by a pretty good pitcher.”
    MSU’s scoring began in the sixth inning with a double into the left field corner by centerfielder Mark Goforth. He advanced to third on a grounder to third base by Rea and scored on shortstop Brandon Turner’s groundout to second.
    The Bulldogs were able to strike quickly when Abraham moved from third base to the mound in the eighth inning. Jeff Flagg, Goforth and Rea opened the inning with three straight singles to load the bases.
    Turner sent Flagg home on a sacrifice fly to left, and Easley advanced Goforth to third on a fly ball that caught right at the right field fence. Moreland recorded his second base hit of the day to bat in the run.
    “We had a chance at the end,” Polk said. “We got to Abraham at the end and had opportunities there at the end.”
    Sunday
    The Diamond Dawgs boosted their record in this year’s Cadence Classic to 2-1 with a 12-4 win over Troy.
    MSU came back from Troy’s early 1-0 lead by scoring two runs in the second and third innings. They padded their lead by scoring four runs in the fifth inning and three runs in the sixth inning.
    The Bulldogs had 11 hits, with two home runs being hit by Easley and sophomore Jeff Flagg. Easley, Moreland and Rea have hit in all seven games so far this season.
    Turner had a strong outing, hitting a pair of singles and being responsible for two RBIs. Pinch hitter Russ Sneed and LaNinfa had one RBI each.
    Senior Josh Johnson pitched five innings to pick up the win. Johnson allowed one run on three hits, striking out three and walking two.
    Junior right-hander John Lalor came in for two innings of relief, allowing three runs in the seventh inning. Redshirt freshman Ricky Bowen completed the game, with two innings of scoreless relief.
    Polk said that these wins over a quality Troy ballclub would give his team confidence heading into next week.
    “I kept telling everyone that Troy and Michigan were the two best teams we’ve ever brought in for the Classic,” Polk said. “These are good ballclubs that we’ve faced this weekend.