SA passes recycling, tree fund resolutions

The Student Association Senate recently passed three new resolutions, one of which will expand recycling collection on campus.Hull Hall Sen. Jeremy Sherman proposed the resolutions to the Senate. Sherman’s proposals include expanding recycling centers on campus by adding more bins and containers, creating a tree fund for the student body and provisions for stairs or a sidewalk on the back of Hull Hall on the “A” side.
    In Resolution 36, Sherman says that MSU students go through many recyclable goods every day and that students, faculty and staff would help support the program if more containers and bins were available.
    “I think the intent of the students is to let MSU provide a good example to the community and other schools in the region when it comes to recycling,” SA President J.R. Love said.
    The current recycling program, which has been operating on campus for 15 years, only has containers for paper, cardboard and some compost. There are currently 500 bins at 80 locations on campus.
    The new program would include additional recycling of plastics, tin, paper and more aluminum. The resolution also calls to upgrade current cardboard containers so that they are sturdier and clearly marked, for distributing them to more buildings on campus and compost containers for decaying items such as food and leaves.
    However, executive director of facilities Jim Jones said there are downfalls to increasing the amount of recycling on campus. He said it costs more to pick up and deliver MSU’s recycled goods to the local buyer than the profit that comes from it. He says this is due to the fact that there is not a market for recycled goods in the Starkville area.
    “It affects everything we do at Mississippi State. If we increase the program, other programs around campus will feel a loss,” Jones said.
    According to Jones, MSU currently loses approximately $40,000 each year with its current recycling program.
    “We just have to be very careful with how we appropriate our funds for recycling, as well as [be] very realistic,” Jones said.
    While budget issues may arise, some MSU students still feel it is important to increase the recycling program on campus.
    “I think its great that the Student Association is trying to encourage more recycling on campus,” MSU junior Courtney Spring said. “With everything from global warning to pollution, it’s important to reuse whatever we can.”
    The resolution to create a tree fund calls for a program where different student organizations set aside money to purchase a tree in the fall semesters of each year and have the trees planted by the student body. Sherman said this will give back to the university while enhancing shade and grandeur to the campus that has been lost due to construction and storms in recent years.
    The third bill, which calls for stairs or a sidewalk to be build for the back entrance to the “A” side of Hull Hall, hopes to eliminate further erosion of the hill caused students repeatedly walking up and down the hill.
    All resolutions were submitted to Bill Kibler, vice president for student affairs. Kibler could not be reached for comment.