Diamond Dawgs sweep midweek series with Tigers

Mississippi State’s Diamond Dawgs had another strong midweek showing as they defeated the Memphis Tigers.Tuesday
    The Diamond Dawgs pulled off another late game showdown against the Tigers, winning 9-8 after the game was tied for close to three innings.
    The Bulldogs overcame a five-run deficit in the bottom of the sixth inning when shortstop Brandon Turner hit the team’s first grand slam home run of the season to tie the game at 8-8.
    The Dawgs struck early as leadoff man Jeffrey Rea was sent to first base after being hit by a pitch and then stole second. Rea scored when Joseph McCaskill singled to left field.
    Designated hitter Brian LaNinfa then launched a two-run homer to give the Dawgs a 3-0 lead.
    The sixth inning opened with Mitch Moreland being hit by a pitch, followed by McCaskill’s second base hit of the game. LaNinfa was also hit by a pitch, and Conner Powers followed him with a sacrifice fly to score Moreland.
    Mark Goforth was walked, and all four runners scored on Turner’s home run shot to left center field.
    After staying tied for the next two innings, the Bulldogs loaded the bases in the ninth inning as they launched another attack on Memphis.
    Rea opened the inning with a single, and catcher Edward Easley was walked on four straight pitches. Moreland attempted a sacrifice bunt but ended up reaching base on an error by Memphis third baseman Kyle Norrid.
    McCaskill then hit his third single of the game to give the Dawgs the win. He would finish the game going 3-for-5 with two runs batted in.
    Redshirt freshman Ricky Bowen took his third win of the season as he pitched a scoreless ninth inning.
    Wednesday
    Despite a late game surge from the Tigers, the Dawgs pulled off an 11-9 win to sweep the series against Memphis.
    The Bulldogs’ offense came alive early in the game. Turner walked and scored when Mitch Moreland doubled.
    The Dawgs jumped to a 6-0 lead in the second inning with RBI singles by Andy Rice, Goforth, Turner and Easley. Another run scored when LaNinfa was walked with the bases loaded.
    Norrid put the Tigers on the board in the fourth inning with a two-run home run down the left field line. Shortstop Michael Murray singled up the middle and scored when on an RBI single to left field by Alex Fennell.
    Joey Lieberman added one more run on the board with his solo home run to left field in the fifth innning, but the Tigers were shut out for the next three innings.
    The Bulldogs padded their lead by scoring five more runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Turner and Easley hit back-to-back singles and both advanced on a wild pitch. Moreland scored them both with a two-run base hit to center field.
    LaNinfa was dealt a walk, but Nick Hardy, who stepped into left field for McCaskill, blasted a three-run homer to left field to give the Dawgs an 11-4 lead.
    Memphis attempted a comeback in the ninth inning as K.K. Chalmers opened the inning with a double. Will Petersen sent him home on a sacrifice fly.
    Bill Moss singled to the shortstop and advanced on a wild pitch. Murray knocked the run in with his single to the left side.
    Eric Farrell launched a two-run single to left field, and Chris Kirkland singled to second base to knock in the run.
    Bowen would come in to face the final two batters of the game and record his third save of the season.
    Moreland led the Bulldogs’ 14-hit attack, going 3-for-4 while driving in three runs. Turner also went 3-for-4, knocking in one run for the Dawgs.
    Mississippi State resumes Southeastern Conference play as they take on Kentucky in a three-game series this weekend. The Dawgs and Wildcats face off first on Friday at 6:30 p.m.