Letter to the Editor: Be safe during spring break

Spring break can be one of the most memorable and enjoyable times of your college experience. By following a few simple safety tips, you can minimize your risks and ensure your spring break is a fun time: Safe Travel
    If you are driving, always wear your seat belt and plan your trip so that you allow plenty of time for rest stops along the way. Don’t drive if you are sleepy, even if you have to pull over to the side of the road and take a nap. Just a few years ago, I had the unpleasant responsibility of being the casualty affairs officer for a young student who departed Wichita Falls, Texas, in the early afternoon and attempted to drive to Miami, Fla., non-stop in order to see his parents.
    Tragically, his vacation trip ended a few miles from Columbus, just across the Alabama state line. After driving all night, he fell asleep, drifted across the yellow line and hit another vehicle head-on. The driver of the other vehicle survived, but the young student did not. Sadly, this mishap would have been easily avoided if the young man had stopped and gotten a motel room or waited until morning to depart.
    Drink Responsibly
    Most state laws, including Mississippi’s, require that you must be 21 to consume, purchase or possess an alcoholic beverage. The best answer here is “don’t drink.”
    However, if you are of legal age and do decide to drink, some common sense rules apply. Don’t drink too much. Decide in advance what and how much you will drink. Plan how you will refuse once you reach your limit. Be aware that alcohol poisoning can and does happen. If someone you are with passes out and is unresponsive, call an ambulance immediately. Finally, and most importantly, do not drive! Use a designated driver or call a taxi.
    Personal Safety and Security
    Lock your hotel/motel room door and don’t leave valuables unattended. Use the buddy system when you are going to be out of your room. Again, don’t drink too much. The vast majority of sexual assaults involve alcohol as a contributing factor, whether one is the victim or the perpetrator.
    Never leave a party alone with someone you just met. Instead, attend large parties with your friends and plan to leave with the same friends. Watch out for drugs which can be slipped into your drink. Never accept an open drink from a stranger and never leave your drink unattended.
    Remember that we are One State – One Team. Watch out for each other, have a fun holiday break, and return safely!