‘Silent Hill’ impresses visually, still screams pure mediocrity

This first paragraph could have been a boring examination about the futility of video game films. But let’s cut the unoriginal rambling and say that “Silent Hill” was doomed to suck. Although it doesn’t completely miss its target, the average viewer won’t find anything that impressive, with the exception of the visuals.
    The story revolves around a girl, Sharon, who can’t stop sleepwalking and chanting “Silent Hill,” the name of a forsaken town. Sharon’s mother, Rose (played by Radha Mitchell), decides to take her daughter to the town for a possible cure.
    Rose does all of this without the consent of her husband, Christopher (Sean Bean), even though the family supposedly cares about each other. In fact, Christopher has to contact Rose to find out what’s up. Apparently, Rose thought it would be better to take her child to a nightmarish town than to a doctor. Don’t worry: none of the quick set-up makes any sense.
    Then everything goes to hell. Rose and her daughter-while being tailed by a policewoman, Cybil (Laurie Holden)-experience a car crash right before they make it to Silent Hill. When Rose awakens, her daughter is missing. Rose must search for her daughter in the ashy, demon-filled town.
    Surprisingly, the atmosphere of this movie is quite faithful to the game. Director Christopher Gans finds the imagery to make the film eerie and disturbing, not ridiculous and laughable.
    It’s too bad the actors couldn’t share the same talent. Mitchell’s acting is shallow and forgettable. Admittedly, the incredibly lame dialogue didn’t increase Mitchell’s chances, either.
    Bean (known for his seedy and traitorous roles in “The Fellowship of the Ring” and “Goldeneye”) struggles with his vapid lines and eventually gives up in probably the worst performance of his career.
    However, the worst performance in “Silent Hill” comes from Holden, who tries too hard to be tough, reminding you of the most generic characters from those Sci-Fi Channel flicks. You might even stop believing in God if you’re not an atheist already.
    Miraculously, the best performances in the movie lie within the demons. Female, mannequin-like demons walk with the shakes and awkward starts-and-stops in a particularly disturbing sequence. But the best monster is definitely Pyramid Head. He lives up to his name, swings a gigantic sword, and commands a swarm of man-eating bugs. Too bad he’s only in the film for about five or 10 minutes.
    And it would be wrong of me not to mention the great soundtrack. The music establishes an appropriate mood early on and doesn’t stop there. Anyone who can make industrial music useful is automatically gifted.
    Also, credit Gans for being patient with the camera and the effects team for creating a memorable nightmare. If only the script and acting could have matched the look.
    SILENT HILL
    Sony Pictures
    Rated R
    STARRING:
    Radha Mitchell, Sean Bean and Laurie Holden
    THE VERDICT:
    While the film’s score and visuals stand out, a lack of worthwhile DVD extras makes the already drab “Silent Hill” one to skip.