Robinson looks to carry weight in senior season

Mississippi State senior defensive tackle Deljuan Robinson is a member of the class of 2002 of Hernando High School. Mathematically, 2005 should have been Robinson’s senior year at MSU, but it wasn’t. Robinson wasn’t redshirted, and he wasn’t declared ineligible for any certain amount of time. However, in 2002, Deljaun wasn’t a Bulldog, yet. Robinson didn’t play in 2002 because he hadn’t yet enrolled at MSU. Instead, he was at home, recooperating from open heart surgery.
    Deljuan Robinson now stares down opposing SEC offensive linemen, a different opponent each week and all different from the huge antagonist he faced back in August of 2002.
    After sitting out for a year and recooperating, Robinson has emerged as one of Mississippi State’s most respected, and biggest leaders.
    “It doesn’t really bother me any more,” Robinson said. “After I had the surgery, everything went well. I am completely healed, and I’ve got faith that I don’t have any more heart problems. Everything is where it’s supposed to be.”
    Deljuan is an active member of the MSU Wesley Foundation and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and claims that his reliance on help from higher up is the reason he is where he is today.
    “My faith is not part of my game, it is my game,” Robinson said. “I believe I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. No matter what I go through, no matter what happens to me, he’s going to take care of everything.”
    Take a look back at Robinson’s high school wall of success. A myriad of awards dot his record. Earning places on first teams on the All-State Clarion Ledger and All-America The G&W Recruiting Report levels, and an honorable mention berth on the postseason Orlando Sentinel all-Southern team, Robinson drew the accolades from many university coaches as a coveted linebacker/defensive line candidate from the Mississippi high school ranks.
    Robinson was ranked as high as 21st in the nation, and 55th in the nation among all high school prospects, regardless of position. After signing with Mississippi State, Deljuan was quickly placed on the frontline for the Bulldog defense, even as a true freshman. Deljuan saw action in 11 games in 2003, earning the start in five. Robinson began his Maroon and White career with 18 tackles, two being for losses. The MSU staff was quickly impressed with the impact Robinson brought to the squad, naming him a starter at defensive end at the beginning of his sophomore year.
    The first two games of the season featured Robinson starting at defensive end, though he was moved to reserve until the fifth week of the season. After playing as a reserve for two weeks, Robinson made a short return to the starting role of defensive end, starting two more games in a row before once again returning to the role of reserve. In his sophomore season, Robinson upped his totals to 23 tackles, including one sack.
    Following a terrific spring training between his sophomore and junior years, Deljuan was listed first on the depth chart once again, but this time not at defensive end. Robinson had been moved to defensive tackle, and would go on to start all 11 games in that position in 2005. In his new position, Robinson tallied 29 tackles and one pass deflection. Spring seems to be Robinson’s favorite season of the year, as he displayed another fantastic outing in 2006’s preseason workouts. Robinson totaled 12 tackles in just three spring scrimmages, including five for loss. Three of those tackles were sacks. Robinson also gobbled up a fumble recovery and batted down three passes at the line of scrimmage this spring.
    While not donning headgear and shoulder pads, Deljuan likes to relax at his residence with the “D-Block,” the nickname the MSU defensive line has given their unit.
    The clique likes to play dominoes, as well as video games. “NFL Street” is the most common game spun on the “D-Block” gaming console.
    Deljuan has played in all possible matchups except one, missing one due to a family emergency. Robinson has recorded 70 tackles in his career and has one quarterback sack to his name. He will look to add to those totals this season, as well as add on to a total that currently stands at zero: bowl game appearances.
    “I’m just going to play hard and give everything I’ve got to this team,”promises Robinson. “This team is headed in the right direction, no doubt about it. There’s a bright future for them. As for goals, I just want us to play to the best of our abilities, and to go out with a bang.
    “If we just play to our potential, we will have fulfilled our goal,” Robinson added.