Cheri Dennis

Taking the Main Stage at 9:30 p.m. is the up-and-coming hip-hop and R&B artist, Cheri Dennis.
    Dennis hails from Cleveland, Ohio, and has been performing music since age 8 when she sang in her local church choir. From there she began a career in music, not taking a break for college but simply pushing on to her goal of becoming a singing sensation.
    After graduating high school, Dennis left her hometown and followed her dream to New York City. After a short time in the metropolis, a chance encounter with hip-hop industry mogul Sean “P. Diddy” Combs gave her the opportunity that she needed. After listening to Dennis sing over a track provided by a DJ at a party, Combs became interested in the young woman. Only a few weeks after meeting her, Combs offered her a record deal with his label, Bad Boy Entertainment, making Dennis the first solo female artist signed by the label since Faith Evans received a contract in 1994.
    The record, which is due out in October, has taken much of Dennis’ time since her contract was signed. This has not prevented her from breaking into the limelight, though. In 1999 she was featured on Mase’s track “All I Ever Wanted” from his album Double Up. She was also featured on the Bad Boy album We Invented the Remix.
    Work on her album continued, and in the fall of 2005 her first single, “I Love You,” was released featuring Jim Jones and Yung Joc. The single reached number 35 on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop chart. A video for the song was created and released on BET’s 106 and Park in May.
    Growing up, Dennis had exposure to several artists that inspired her. Among the most influential in her life were Prince and Madonna.
    “I’m a very sensual person, so I connect with that in Prince,” Dennis said on her Web site. “And with Madonna, it wasn’t so much the music as it was her power and presence.”
    Dennis has also found influence in classic soul artists Minnie Ripperton and Aretha Franklin.
    “When you think of those singers, the first that comes to mind is their voice,” she says on her Web site. “Their voices were so powerful and moving. I just hope that my singing moves people. I want people to hear me live and realize that it’s not just about a studio with me, rather it is about singing well.”
    Those that enjoy soulful r&b with a hip-hop edge will likely find her successful in her goal. Her music contains hints of classic soul artists mixed in with the modern production style of leading hip-hop beat makers. The result is a crisp sound with which most r&b audiences will be pleased.
    “This is all I do,” Dennis says. “I’m focused. I look forward to more and more. I expect to have a long career in this industry.”