‘Illusionist’ mystifies audiences, avoids cheap tricks

“The Illusionist” is far from incredible and earthmoving, but it is certainly an adequate cure for a boring afternoon, or possibly two, as the film begs for an additional viewing.
    The plot of “The Illusionist,” while not revolutionary, is unique. The film is set in Vienna a century ago. Eisenheim (Edward Norton), a skilled traveling magician who is taking the country by storm, has a chance on-stage reunion with Princess Sophie (Jessica Biel), his childhood sweetheart who was stolen away from him because of their differing social standings.
    The two engage in a forbidden romance, which is foiled by Sophie’s drunken, abusive fianc‹¨, the Crown Prince Leopold (Rufus Sewell). Things turn deadly, and Chief Inspector Uhl (Paul Giamatti) is infatuated with unraveling the strange case. All is brought to light in an awe-inspiring conclusion, when Eisenheim proves himself to be a worthy magician indeed.
    With the past decade’s sudden craze over medieval magic, brought on by a certain teenaged wizard and courageous hobbit, the theme of magic seems to be a surefire formula for success in a film. It is notable, however, that “The Illusionist” is set in the real world, not the fantastic realms of other recent magical successes.
    Therefore, Eisenheim’s onstage tricks and illusions, which take up a substantial amount of the film, seem bland when the viewer is aware that CGI is responsible for them, rather than sleight of hand. “The Illusionist” would have been much more enjoyable as a stage play rather than a film.
    Its atmosphere was also less than perfect. It seemed a very strange mix of a smoky, dark, film noir detective story and a lighthearted fairytale. This combination spends the entire two hours teetering between cool and annoying.
    Most of the film’s acting is satisfactory. The ever-mesmerizing Norton (“Fight Club,” “American History X”) adds another interesting character to his arsenal with Eisenheim. He portrays a tortured yet brilliant soul, and the film’s conclusion adds another striking dimension to the character.
    Giamatti’s (“Sideways,” “Cinderella Man”) Chief Inspector Uhl, while not fascinating, is very human and a good addition to the film. The portrayal is comparable to Stephen Rea’s role as Detective Eric Finch in “V for Vendetta,” though not nearly as deep.
    Biel’s (TV’s “7th Heaven,” “Stealth”) role as Princess Sophie is the low point of the film’s central cast. Though some attempt to give the character depth is evident, Sophie comes off as a somewhat hollow damsel in distress, which calls into question the brilliant Eisenheim’s undying love for her. While Biel doubtlessly does her effortless job of providing sex appeal, the film could have used a much stronger female character.
    Sewell’s (“Tristan and Isolde,” “A Knight’ Tale”) portrayal of the evil Crown Prince Leopold is rather passive, though it gets the job done. He’s pretty much your stereotypical womanizing, villainous aristocrat.
    All in all, the film would be unremarkable were it not for its spellbinding conclusion. This aspect alone makes me look forward to up-and-coming director Neil Burger’s (“Interview with the Assassin”) future exploits. And kudos to anyone who unravels the mystery on their first viewing. If you’re looking for an intelligent, entertaining good time that leaves you with little emotional attachment, then “The Illusionist” is the movie for you.
    THE ILLUSIONIST
    Yari Film Group
    Rated PG-13
    STARRING:
    Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, Jessica Biel and Rufus Sewell
    THE VERDICT:
    While most elements of the film seem average and even occasionally kitschy, the unique plot and unexpected conclusion offer more than the average period piece.
    3 of 4 stars