Sister Hazel

Twelve years and six albums after the birth of Sister Hazel, the group is finally tying down its desired sound, warming up and getting ready for a new tour, a new album and a new direction.
    The band is hot off an Athens, Ga., performance and is on the road to Starkville’s biggest outdoor bash of the year, an atmosphere Sister Hazel bassist Jett Beres said the band connects with as much as an indoor performance, but with a much different feel.
    “[Playing atmospheres] are different; they dictate different vibes,” Beres said. “Indoor shows can get a little introspective, but outside we go into a more upbeat setup. When the weather’s nice it’s cool, fun.”
    Native of Gainesville, Fla., otherwise known as the home of the Florida Gators, Sister Hazel is no stranger to college crowds. Beres said the connection between the band and the audience is much deeper when playing to college students.
    “Being from a Southeast college town, each time we play to a college crowd, we connect. It’s the same mentality in every town we play in. They get the lyrics and understand our musicianship much more,” he said. “They’re the perfect audience.”
    Touring is a top priority for Sister Hazel. With an Oct. 10 release date for its new album, Absolutely, the band is prepping for a big promotional tour.
    “We’re going to tour heavy through the rest of the year,” Beres said.
    Going on the road is something the band is accustomed to, though. The bassist said touring is what made the band what it is now.
    “It’s where we got our sound, on the road. We developed it playing live, cutting our teeth around the Southeast.”
    And the sound is what makes the band, after all.
    “The more you play together, the more you trust each other,” Beres said. “The trust and creativity allow you to expand as a band and move in new directions. With [Absolutely], we’re on a quest to get our sound closer to the live sound we’re reaching for. Our deal is cultivating our sound.”
    Sister Hazel will perform a couple of tracks from Absolutely, including the first single “Mandolin Moon.”
    Beres said each member brings his own style into the mix. Its southern roots and upbeat rock are what brought Sister Hazel to national fame.
    “Our songwriting is inspired by roots-rock,” Beres said.
    The band is most known for it’s breakout single, 1997’s “All For You” and 2000’s “Change Your Mind.”
    Sister Hazel’s audience can expect to hear these songs, Beres said.
    “We’ll be playing the old sing-alongs,” he said. “If you don’t know the words, just say ‘watermelon, watermelon.'”
    Sister Hazel takes the stage at 11 p.m.
    Sisterhazel.tif, caption: Sister Hazel has top billing at Bulldog Bash 2006. The band will take center stage at 11 p.m. next to Bin612.