Flags should wave, fly no more

Many conservatives say, “Freedom comes with a price.” In a way, I agree with them. That is, if the quote means flags should be banned.
    Obviously, flags are not genuinely wrong. However, they almost always breed stupidity.
    First, flag burning shouldn’t be an issue. A flag is a piece of cloth that symbolizes an abstract and lofty idea. If people decide to burn flags to express themselves, this should never be a problem. The flag may be burned, but the idea should carry on.
    Of course, I’m assuming the people who decry flag burning actually understand the ideas that flags represent.
    A person who complains about a burning flag cares too much about the symbol. It’s the equivalent of a couple getting a divorce because one of them lost a ring. It’s hasty, shallow and illogical.
    Unfortunately, even if I obliterate a poorly constructed argument, people will still shed tears and create controversy over woven material decomposing into ashes.
    But what should we expect? From day one, Americans are taught to extend reverence to the flag, rather than to extend reverence to each other.
    Instead of teaching children the Pledge of Allegiance and forcing them to place their hands over their hearts, our schools should focus more on math, science, history and literature. No, that would be too smart. Let’s turn the children into mindless soldiers who recite words most of them don’t understand, much less believe.
    Southern states also deal with racial issues because of these bothersome, flapping flags. White and black people fight over the Confederate flag. The former group cites sentimental reasons for waving their gaudily designed banners, while the latter group believes the flag represents racism and slavery. This is incredible: two idiotic groups arguing about what a piece of cloth represents.
    If I need a Confederate flag “to remember the past”-or for another weak-minded reason-I should be lobotomized. And I deserve a similar fate if I cause statewide controversy over whether the same flag symbolizes racism.
    Another ridiculous concept with flags is half-staff. Whenever a certain event is defined as “tragic,” many people set their flags at half-staff.
    Nevermind that half-staff is a superficial sign of reverence or mourning. The main point is that innocent people die and suffer every day. The only logical move would be to leave all flags at half-staff all the time. Otherwise, you’re being a hypocritical and judgmental twit.
    To be fair, flags were actually useful on ground at first. Armies used them in battle for coordination. It’s too bad modern warfare has rendered this practice pointless.
    But I would be ignorant to say that flags aren’t still practical at sea. Ensigns are flags used by ships. Merchant ships fly their ensigns and the ensigns of the areas they visit. If a ship only flies its ensign in foreign seas, this signals that the ship is willing to fight. Ensigns-or lack thereof-can mean whether you die or not.
    Lastly, the people who reprimand others for letting an American flag touch the ground need a thrashing. Out of all the reasons you should correct people, you pick a symbol touching the ground. What’s wrong? Is the ground that we fought for not good enough for a piece of cloth to touch? Would Jesus care? Probably not.
    So we can’t ban flags totally, but a ban on most flags, not ensigns, should be in process. When football officials start throwing yellow bricks after personal fouls, I’ll be happy.