President travels to Russia

Mississippi State President Robert “Doc” Foglesong returned last Friday evening from a trip to Russia, where he worked on issues as the co-chair for the U.S.-Russia Joint Commission on POW/MIAs.
    President George W. Bush appointed him to the position in April.
    Foglesong was asked to go to Russia to help energize the process on the Russian side so they will appoint his Russian counterpart.
    The committee’s main focus is to locate missing servicemen from World War II through the Cold War.
    “Many of these POW/MIAs have been missing for many years,” Foglesong said. “I think it is honorable work we are all trying to do to bring closure to these families.”
    During his stay in Russia, Fogelsong spent his time with Russian officials developing strategies that will bring closure to Russian, former Soviet Union and U.S. POW/MIA families.
    He met with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as the Ministry of Defense to determine how to re-energize his joint committee that has been in existence for over 14 years. The committee spent the last couple of years inactive while Russia reorganized. Foglesong also had the objective of ascertaining Russia’s reorganization.
    While in Moscow, Foglesong was able to deliver a lecture at Moscow University on international politics.
    “I felt it was very useful and insightful to see these young Russians so interested in foreign politics,” Foglesong said. “We were able to have an open discussion about the issues.”
    MSU senior Neil Polen said he thinks the collaboration between Mississippi and Russian educational institutions is a positive one.
    “I think it is great that Dr. Foglesong is using his experience in international affairs to benefit the university,” Polen said. “Connecting two universities from across the globe allows each institution to dramatically increase the amount of resources used in both education and research.”
    Foglesong also met with the Rector of Moscow University, who was interested in attaining a relationship with MSU.
    A former four-star general, Foglesong was also USAF vice commander, among other leadership positions while her served in the Air Force for 33 years.