Homecoming events span Junction

The Junction is the hotbed of Homecoming events this year, where the Alumni Association is hosting a series of events-called “Functions at The Junction,” starting with a Homecoming tailgate party at 10 a.m. today. This year’s Homecoming theme is “Where Legends are Made.”
    Jimmy Abraham, associate vice president and executive director of alumni activities, said The Junction is the ideal place to be able to hold the festivities.
    “I think this is a great opportunity for us with the brand new tailgating at The Juntion,” Abraham said. “The Junction is a great atmosphere.”
    Campus radio station WMSV-FM (91.1) is broadcasting the activities live from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and the streaming audio is available online at www.wmsv.msstate.edu.
    “We’re having a free barbecue from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.,” Abraham said. “There will also be children’s activities.”
    Musician Jimmy Tomlinson will play from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and the band Ex-Supermodel will play from 1 to 3 p.m. followed by the band Big Blue Truck from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
    Caricaturist Steve Gipson will draw free portraits from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. A punt-pass-kick contest is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. Volleyball, disc golf and badminton are offered from 10:30 to 4:30 p.m.
    “At 6:30 we’ll have a pep rally and will introduce the Homecoming Court and also announce the winners for the front door decoration contest,”Abraham said.
    The pep rally will feature the Famous Maroon Band and MSU Cheerleaders.
    A series of concerts called Junction Jamz begins tonight at 7:30. Local musician Bill Cooke and other performers will also be featured. Free pizza is offered at Junction Jamz as long as it lasts.
    The rain location for the day’s events is the ground level of the east stands at Davis Wade Stadium.
    Music Maker Productions is one of the eight sponsors of the day’s events.
    “I hope lots of people come out and everybody has a great time,” Music Makers member Sabrina Bowden said.
    Wesley Stuckey, a senior art major, said he plans to enjoy the Homecoming activities of his last year as a student.
    “I think it will be nice, since we have the new atmosphere of a park, rather than the old Junction. I think it should be a lot of fun, and hopefully everyone should have a good time.”
    The Homecoming game will start at 1:30 p.m. Saturday against Jacksonville State University.
    The other sponsors for the activities are Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., the university’s Campus Activities Board, Recreational Sports, the Student Association and Alumni Delegates.