Tim Blane takes role as ‘random’ musician

The Campus Activities Board has tabbed Boston-based singer/songwriter Tim Blane to play for October’s segment of its semester-long Random Tuesday Night Music Series.
    The series started in September with a performance by Ohio-based folk duo Patchouli Sept. 17 at Strange Brew Coffeehouse. The event will continue Oct. 17 at the Cotton District Grill with Blane.
    Originally from Maryland, Tim Blane first began playing music at age 4, when he took up the violin. A year later he started playing piano. Later in his childhood he would go on to win awards in various piano and composition competitions.
    Blane continued to pursue his passion in young adulthood, graduating from Amherst College with degrees in music and psychology. He also served as lead vocalist for Boston indie rock group Invisible Downtown for two years, recording an album with them and touring colleges and clubs mostly along the East Coast.
    Before parting ways with the group, Blane spent two years at Berklee College of Music, where he fine-tuned his talents.
    “I took classes in songwriting, music business and music theory, among others,” Blane said. “Being surrounded by thousands of extremely talented students and teachers was a huge influence on me turning my focus strictly towards a music career.”
    He will be performing by himself in Starkville but also has a backing band in tow for a handful of venues on his upcoming fall tour.
    “When I left Invisible Downtown I started performing by myself, and it hasn’t been until recently that a band has come into the mix,” Blane said.
    Blane has played shows with the likes of The Verve Pipe and Virginia Coalition.
    “[Meeting The Verve Pipe] was a fun experience for me,” Blane said. “They’re all very nice, and it was a thrill to play shows with them.”
    His new solo career has also taken him to university campuses including Duke and Harvard. He has taken the stage at such venues as the House of Blues in Boston and The Lion’s Den in New York City.
    His solo debut, In the Meantime, was recorded last year and produced by Chris Keup, whose previous credits include Jason Mraz, Rachel Yammagata and Josh Kelley. Meantime can be found on iTunes and Revolution Records and features songs “Fan of Your Eyes” and “Drifting and Driving.” More album information and song samples can be found at www.timblane.com.
    Blane is slated to kick off his performance at 7:30 p.m. For more information on upcoming performances in the Random Tuesday Night Music Series, visit CAB’s Web site at www.msstate.edu/org/cab.