Cross country seeks heat in Chili Pepper Invitational

Both the MSU men’s and women’s cross country teams are preparing to compete in this Saturday’s Chili Pepper Invitational, held at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Ark.
    Many MSU rivals in the SEC and the South Region are also expected to compete in the Chili Pepper Invitational, including Ole Miss, Arkansas, Alabama and LSU.
    “We are really looking forward to facing Alabama again,” women’s head coach Al Schmidt said. “They are a really good team, ranked fourth nationally.”
    Both teams also are excited about facing their archrival, Ole Miss, for the first time this season.
    “Any time we can beat Ole Miss is a really exciting time for the team,” Schmidt said.
    The women’s team, now ranked sixth in the South Region polls, will compete in the 6K race with eight runners: senior Jennifer McPherson, senior Joy Griffith, senior Mina Thorstenson, senior Sarah Milam, junior Liz Grube, sophomore Michelle Corrigan, sophomore Annie Falor and sophomore Nicole Rosetti.
    “This is an important race for the girls because it is the first time they will compete on the longer 6,000 meter course,” Schmidt said. “This is also the kind of course they will be competing on at the SEC championships.
    “With this being our last meet before the championships, we want to go into the championships with confidence.”
    Schmidt’s main goal for the Chili Pepper Invitational is for the women’s team to beat as many nationally-ranked teams as they can, focusing especially on beating teams in the SEC.
    Head coach Steve Dudley and the men’s cross country team have many of the same goals.
    They look forward to improving their eighth-place ranking in the South Region and also facing many of their SEC rivals, including Arkansas, which is ranked second nationally.
    Dudley brings 12 runners to compete in the men’s 10K race: Ashenafi Arega, Zach Greene, Ryan Irwin, Pad Judd, Wade Martin, Travis McKay, Phillip Moore, Jonathan Rono, Robert Scribner, Daniel Simpkins, Cameron Vincent and Clayton Walters.
    “Our main goal is to have a top seven finish,” Dudley said. “Notre Dame was a little bit of a disappointment. We didn’t run as well as team as we are capable of. We are looking to improve that this weekend in Arkansas.”
    Dudley believes his team will improve their South Region ranking with a seventh or better finish.
    “This meet will really prepare us for the SEC championships,” Dudley said. “It will show us where we are and what we need to do before the championships.”
    The men’s 10K race begins at 9:45 a.m. with the women’s 6K race immediately after at 10:30 a.m.