Professor’s research yields groundbreaking findings

Advanced research by a Mississippi State professor seeks to bring revolutionary ideas about how scientists fight infection.
    James Smith, an associate professor of biological sciences, centered his research on finding new ways to combat antibiotic-resistant pathogens.
    Pathogens become resistant to prescription drugs over time due to mutation in their structures. Smith said it takes only one in one billion bacteria to mutate to cause a new strand that is resistant to a drug. This means scientists always have to look for new ways to combat these resistant pathogens.
    “[We are] trying to increase chances that we are always going to have antibiotics to fight infections,” interim head of plant and soil sciences Nancy Reichert said. “[It] adds another thing to a doctor’s bag to fight infection.”
    Smith collaborated with Utrecht University in The Netherlands on the research. Their work was published in the Sept. 15 issue of Science magazine.
    Smith describes the work as giving precedent to something never done before.
    Bacteria have a cell wall that protects them from the environment. Lipid II is a functionary in creating a new cell wall. Smith’s research indicates that by seizing Lipid II the cell wall will break apart, and the bacteria will die.
    Smith said the research could lead to whole new field of antibiotic drugs to combat bacterial infections.
    According to the Office of Research, Mississippi State ranks 80th nationwide in total research expenditures, with more than $190 million in research expenditures. Additionally, the university ranks fifth in agricultural expenditure and ranks in the top 30 for engineering expenditures.
    “This puts us significantly above many other institutions,” vice president for research and economic development Colin Scanes said.
    Mississippi State’s expenditures make it one of the leading in the area. Ole Miss ranks at 133 and Auburn at 107.
    Professors at Mississippi State University are required to do research. Ongoing research in the department of biology includes finding the triggering mechanism for cancer, bird studies in South America, identifying plants, keeping the Everglades healthy and using feline leukemia virus as a model for AIDS research, Reichert said.
    Current research elsewhere in the university includes work on bio-renewable fuels, unmanned aerial vehicles and improving auto efficiency, according to the Office of Research.
    Students are also encouraged to do research. There are directed individual studies available under professors that give students chance to experience what they think they are interested in, Reichert said.