Dixon carries load for Bulldogs in road loss

Running back Anthony Dixon doubled his number of touchdowns for the season in Saturday’s 27-24 loss to Georgia with a three-touchdown game.
    Going into the game against Georgia he was tied with defensive back Derek Pegues at three touchdowns.
    Dixon claimed he was catching flack from his teammates about not being able to get in the end zone.
    “My teammates have been telling me that I can’t get in the end zone or that I let cornerbacks tackle me,” said Dixon. “I know they were joking with me, but I don’t want them to get to the point where they really thought that.”
    Dixon has put up some big numbers for the Bulldogs despite being a true freshman.
    He has been one of the playmakers that head coach Sylvester Croom has been looking for to step up.
    Dixon has played in all eight games this season for the Mississippi State and has started twice. He leads the team in rushing with 319 yards and six touchdowns.
    “You don’t want to get ragged on in the film room because you didn’t make a play,” said Dixon. “When you get the ball you always want to make the best of it.”
    Dixon was ranked as high as No. 19 in the nation at the running back position in high school.
    He carried the ball for over 2,500 yards and 31 touchdowns in his senior year. Dixon was highly recruited because of his high school performance and was reminded why previous to the Georgia game.
    “They saw in high school that I can run over people,” Dixon said. “The coach challenged me to do more of that.”
    Dixon’s teammates and coaches have been challenging him to lower his head and use his weight when he runs the ball.
    Dixon credits these challenges for his ability to get in the end zone against Georgia.