10 major leaguers return to campus

Mississippi State will host its 12th annual Baseball Alumni Weekend this Saturday and Sunday. More than 140 former Diamond Dogs representing eight decades of MSU’s tradition-rich baseball program are expected to be on hand.
    According to a University press release, the weekend’s events include a Saturday afternoon golf tournament at the MSU Golf Course and a players’ dinner at the Bryce Griffis Board Room.
    Then on Sunday, the popular alumni baseball game will be played at Dudy Noble Field.
    There is no charge for admission to the baseball game, and a brief pregame autograph session will be held along the foul line fences beginning at 1:10 p.m.
    “We always look forward to hosting this event and having so many of our former athletes and staff members back on campus,” MSU head coach Ron Polk said. “For many of the returning players it may be a first opportunity to see the beautiful new Palmeiro Center, the Griffis Board Room and our new baseball coaches’ office building.
    “As always, we anticipate a great response from our fans in welcoming the baseball alumni back to campus.”
    The returning Bulldogs include 10 former Major League Baseball players-infielder Travis Chapman and outfielder Jon Knott, as well as pitchers Jeff Brantley, Eric DuBose, Jack Lazorko, Paul Maholm, Jonathan Papelbon, Jay Powell, Gary Rath and Bobby Thigpen.
    All 10 of Mississippi State’s Southeastern Conference championship teams, as well as State’s seven NCAA College World Series clubs, will be represented.