Voters, make Miss. different

Unfortunately for Mississippians, the state’s congressional elections are usually predetermined to be Republican.
    The situation is disappointing. Many Democrats just run in these elections to represent their party, not holding any real hope of winning.
    However, this situation shouldn’t discourage voters. Many younger voters are Democrats now. Sixty-nine percent of Mississippi voters ages 18 to 29 voted for John Kerry in 2004’s presidential election. If enough college-aged voters would go to the polls, another party would stand a chance of winning. At the very least, the races would be more contested.
    One candidate running against an incumbent is an independent segregationist. This is disconcerting. Mississippi should have better second choices than this.
    Even if you can’t or refuse to vote, you should keep up with the elections around the country. It’s important to know how Congress changes so you can know which direction the country is headed.
    Unfortunately, a college town like Starkville makes it harder for college-age citizens to vote. Many students are far away from home, where they are registered to vote. Therefore, traveling on Tuesday to vote is taxing.
    We encourage you to vote if you can. Mississippi deserves more voices than the usual.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Jed Pressgrove, news editor C.J. LeMaster, assistant news editor Nathan Gregory, entertainment editor Aaron Burdette, sports editor R.J. Morgan, online editor Sara McAdory, photography editor Jay Webb, managing editor Ross Dellenger and editor in chief Tyler Stewart.